Exact Approximations

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Youth of America, Phoenix High School Demonstrations

I am overwhelmingly proud of the high-school students around the country that are taking to the streets in protest of pending Congressional immigration legislation, HR 4437.

This afternoon, I was reviewing defense exhibits. For the first time since I graduated Boalt and started this job, our firm is gearing up for trial. I am stoked to see The Boss in action. So I'm reviewing Exhibits and hear faint chanting and horn honking. For a moment, it was like being back in Berkeley. I ran to my window (had to run far because I am in my new Big Office, woo-hoo). I looked down and saw hundreds of high-schools students walking down the street - marching their way to the Arizona capitol. They waived, chanted, holding flags in pride. It was the strongest exhibit I've seen all day.

In Berkeley, Oakland high-schoolers protested all the time. Very active youth in Oakland. Other than that, I have not seen much en masse activism from younger (or older) folks. It is very, very powerful to see these kids take to the streets and care about what their government is doing, wholly aside from whether you agree with them.

That said, I agree with them. The pending legislation will drastically increase what constitutes a deportable felony. It allows construction of more border walls (which historically don't work and only lead to higher rates of immmigrant death). It limits judicial review. The legislation makes detentions longer and easier. Here on a student visa? Watch your credit load, if you fall under, you could be in big trouble.

The Phoenix demonstrations are being called one of the largest the city has ever seen. They walked up to the office of Senator Jon (Jonky) Kyl, who is incredibly, inhumanely, anti-immigration. Some of these kids have parents whose freedom is at serious risk if this legislation passes. It made me cry a little. Nothing touches me more than watching the young, in all their possibility, looking forward to the possibility of others.

So, I have something to say to each and every one of you young folks. From those that took to the streets, to those who wrote letters, or read the bill, or took any kind of action:

Go, Youth of America, show your government that you care what they do! If you keep it up, they may return the favor. Show us that Americans need input from the young. Show us your energy and concern for the future. Stand up for your parents and yourselves and the rights of all humanity. Show us what it means to be American. Show us the strength of your youth and future. And for all you have done in the past days in the spirit of these things, I am grateful. Thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home