Exact Approximations

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Office Upgrade, Demand List Vacancy

The Boss hired New Paralegal yesterday, and walked her around for introductions. Stopping at my office door, he says: "This will be your office. Office Manager, we're going to move Lex over here."

He points to the "Big Office." I contain my inner elation.

The Big Office is damn near as big as the apartment I had in UC Berkeley's family student housing. This is where Contract Attorney, who The Boss hardly ever uses these days, once lived. It has a huge sprawling desk, bookshelves, a nice table, plants and spanning window-views of the valley. Ok, maybe that last one isn't so great, but on the whole... Upgrade!!

I had three things on my demand list for when (and if) I pass the bar.
1) More money, at least a 50% raise.
2) Established number of vacation and personal days. (too informal at this point).
3) The Big Office.

So now, I am short one demand. Actually two. I need a total of four minimum, so that I can have one to lose.

Suggestions?

4 Comments:

  • Dental?
    Rubber bands.
    Better coffee.

    I'm plotting on coming to AZ, applying to every law office and then trying to find you. No purpose other than to say, "Surprise, Lex!" Then head back to MN. Wouldn't that be a great prank?

    Ooooh, the possibilities.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 12:31 PM  

  • Rubber bands... I like that. I have had my wrist snapped at least three times trying to wrap the Big Bands around stacks of medical records. Very low quality. High breakage susceptability. That one might just be a winner Arbusto.

    Supposedly, we have dental. Although I never got my card... I think the office administrator dropped the ball and there's a lag. Which sucks because I totally need a cleaning. The coffee could also use improvement, but I dare not complain lest my habit of taking a couple pouches home every Friday be discovered....

    As for treckin' to AZ, I invite... Nay, I DARE you. And while I am interviewing you, we shall have a very expensive lunch at the cost of The Boss and be very sloppy with our consumption all over my Big Office table.

    Ah yes. The good life.

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 12:43 PM  

  • If only heat and I weren't mortal enemies, me coming to AZ wouldn't be such a far off threat.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 7:22 PM  

  • Bonus, bonus, bonus! There is nothing like a lump sum payment of joy once a year to make you love your job. I worked in the financial industry for a year (got laid off after 9/11 - thanks Osama - you cost me loads of cash and a free MBA) and a yearly bonus of 15 to 20% was standard for a bad year.

    By Blogger -Ann, at 1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home