Exact Approximations

Monday, March 27, 2006

Los Altos Snobs, Toenail Jobs and Daughter Songs

Picked up Daughter this weekend. She does not appear to have become too snotified from having been around her step-father. In fairness, Daughter spent less than half her vacation in Los Altos with Ex-Husband. He got sick and asked the parents of Daughter's Berkeley friends to watch her. He's an ass and I will repeatedly refer to him as such.

Boyfriend and I arrived in California around 11:30p.m Friday night and promptly fell over onto the air mattress Loony Tunes Aunt set up for us as she let us use her home as a staging ground for the whole Daughter vacation.

The funniest exchange of the weekend happened the next morning, and I slept right through it.

Context: Loony Tunes Aunt has been dating Uncle GQ for years. Uncle GQ is designated as such because he has stellar fashion style. More importantly, Uncle GQ is a very street smart, no bullshit, cut to the chase kind of guy. He has an irreverent sarcasm matched only by Loony Tunes Aunt. He is in no way a pansy-ass.

So anyhow, first thing Saturday morning, Uncle GQ came down the stairs:


Boyfriend: Rolling over. "Morning."
Uncle GQ: Walking out the front door. "What up dog?"


Later, I learned he was on the way to an early manicure/pedicure appointment.

I find this funny because Uncle GQ is such a man's man. It was great. Maybe you had to be there. I talked shit. I later asked to be taken along next time I am in town.

On the drive back to Arizona on Saturday night, Cousin Athletic gave us directions that took us through downtown Los Angeles. Apparently, there was an immigration protest march at the same time, going through downtown Los Angeles. If I thought I could, I would kick Cousin Athletic's ass next time I see her, for the three hours she added to our trip home. But she can probably take me, so I won't say anything.

A bit more into the drive, Daughter was rocking out to Nikka Costa on her CD player. She was belting out the words to "Everybody Got Their Something."

One line in the song says "Love can nearly breed a child."
Daughter sang out "Like a little bitter child."

I laughed and turned to Boyfriend.

Lex: "It's good to have her back."
Boyfriend: "That doesn't even begin to describe it."

Yay.

4 Comments:

  • I love that she's "looney toons" aunt. My family doesn't have any fun names.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 1:01 PM  

  • The best part is, this is a player that I did not assign a Blog-o-Name to. Loony Tunes Aunt came up with it all by herself.

    She doesn't believe in self-denial.

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 1:20 PM  

  • thank you thank you thank you.. Self-denial you say??? I have always known that it's more fun to be loony and I have always been able to laugh. Without laughter I would have been committed a very long time ago. Yeahhh loony is wayy more fun.
    Loony Tunes Aunt

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:20 PM  

  • No, no, I meant that you are not in self-denial and most definitely know you are loony. Certifiably. In fact, you're probably crazy enough to qualify for some sort of government benefits...

    In fairness, I agree with Genevieve that people who recognize their crazy are actually a lot more sensible. For my part, I'm super whacked out. I know, I have a degree in Psychology. I took "How to Tell Who is Crazy" classes. And I can tell. I am. And so is Loony Tunes Aunt. And Uncle GQ is crazier than both of us because he voluntarily entered this insane family.

    Grand Republican Matriarch (my grandmother, a.k.a. GRM) would be proud of us all. See what your eggs breed GRM? See all the crazy folk you created and let loose on this planet!!?! Are you SURE you think stem-cell research is still a bad idea after seeing your natural offspring? We could use genetic-scientific intervention. My Mother, Uncle Firefighter, Crazy East Coast Uncle, Loony Tunes Aunt, the other ones I don't yet have nicknames for... All complete nutbars. And then we attract nutbars, and make ever nuttier kids...

    But Loony Tunes Aunt may be the craziest of all.

    She's a Payday nutbar.

    Love you

    =)

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home