Exact Approximations

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Finding Common Ground. Good Times with Voter Registration Lady

Yesterday after work, I went by my local library, where I owed fines totaling the cost of half my arm and the three larger toes of my left foot. After paying, I walked out of the building and was greeted by a woman asking the ever-present library question:
Voter Registration Lady: "Are you registered to vote?"
Lex: "No, actually, I need to. I'm registered in California."
VRL: "Well, I'll just need an ID, and you fill out here, here and here."
Lex: "Ok, great"

Meanwhile, Unimportant Library Patron came out, and was lured to the VRL's table. She was already registered to vote, but VRL wanted her to sign some petitions.
VRL: "This one is a petition we're trying to get on the ballot. There was land zoned in Gilbert for residential, and the city is trying to change it to retail land, for another Wal-Mart. Would you like to sign?"
Unimportant Library Patron: "Well... I like Wal-Mart."
Lex: "Wal-Mart is evil."
Unimportant Library Patron: Patronizing "Why is Wal-Mart evil?"
Lex: Knowing it all. "They don't pay their workers a living wage, and when you apply there, they give you public assistance benefits applications, so their employees can get food stamps and health coverage. Because Wal-Mart is too cheap to give them a meaningful benefit and wage package."
Unimportant Library Patron: "Oh, well, I'll sign."

So I finished registering to vote. Then, Voter Registration Lady asked me to sign some petitions.
VRL: "This first one is a one man, one woman marriage initiative."
Lex: "No."
VRL: "It's to ensure that marriages will only be permitted between a man and a woman in Arizona."
Lex: "Nope." Annoyed. Some balls on this one for her to think I misunderstood rather than the reality that I could all too clearly see the evil agenda she was pushing. "I'm gay."
VRL: "Oh, um... really?"
Lex: No, fucknut. "Yes." Alluring sensual gaze deep into VRL's frightened eyes. "Really, really gay."
VRL: "Oh, well, um, how about this one, to get Republican candidate on the ballot."
Lex: "Nope. I don't like Republicans. At all."
VRL: "Well, it's not to vote for them, it's just to get them on the ballot."
Lex: "No thanks. Let them get on the ballot on their own anti-gay time."
VRL: Stunned. Still wondering what to make of my alluring gaze. "Well, how about this one?"
Lex: "The zoning ordinance? Sure, I'll sign that. Fuck Wal-Mart."
VRL: "Thanks, have a good night."
Lex: "You too, and thanks for doing this. Go democracy."
VRL: Baffled. "Uh, you're welcome."

See, it's not so hard to get along with the bad guys.

At least that night. Ah, to come together in Wal-Mart hate.

If that's what it takes, I'll take it.

Bummer that gay marriage will soon be banned in Arizona too.

Fuck'n damn god damned shit and fuck.

Grumble.

4 Comments:

  • I think I just scared my roommate when I laughed really loudly at "I'm gay. Really really gay."

    I haven't stopped yet. Give me a couple more minutes....

    Ok, eyes watering but I'm done now.

    Nicely done.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 1:35 PM  

  • Thanks. It was a really, really, great experience in fun, messing with people's heads, good times. Not as funny as when I gave my pants to the boy scout, but up there, for sure. I was still laughing about it when I went home and told Boyfriend all about it - all animated and excited like.

    I should go to the library more often.

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 1:44 PM  

  • May I use your approach when I'm approached by my friendly neighborhood arch-conservative? I'll give you credit when I do....

    By Blogger TEM, at 8:51 AM  

  • You sure can, and no need to give credit. I say, share the sarcastic love and play it like it's yours.

    =)

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home