Exact Approximations

Friday, May 12, 2006

How Many Accountants Does it Take...

When my husband and I split in 2004, I walked with all the marital debt in exchange for a promise that he would never pursue alimony. Here I am almost two years later, still waiting for the divorce to be finalized.

The last thing we were to do as a married couple was file last year's taxes. Since he has a finance degree, works as an accountant, and claimed Daughter during 2005 - he offered to do the taxes and give me the full return in exchange for filing jointly one last time. I agreed. After the return is transferred into my bank account, I will sign off on the marital settlement agreement. I've been waiting to do this because the MSA (and the signature that will solidify him getting out without taking any of the debt) is the last bargaining power I have. He no longer has the alimony argument because I did my homework and realized it would never, ever happen and a judge would laugh him out of court. As much as I would enjoy watching the ex get bench-slapped, if I were to change my mind and renegotiate the whole deal, I would have to refile my dissolution petition (technicality related to language I, idiotically, used in the original petition). This would entail waiting another six months, and I'd be writing this same post in another two years. I'd rather pay him off.

So anyhow, he was supposed to have done the taxes. I asked him yesterday where the return was and he proceeded to tell me it had been rejected. For reasons he doesn't understand. The man went to school and studied this shit for ten years and he can't file a friggin' straightforward return. Although maybe it says something that the entire ten years was spent trying to finish a Bachelor's Degree. He *refiled* yesterday and now the "10 business day" clock starts anew. I'm annoyed. Sick of being married. Sick of dealing with his idiocy. Sick of still having a stupid hyphenated last name. And I'm sick of not having my tax money yo'

Ah. That helped. Man, I am so glad I never told him about this blog. I almost have a few times, but this is just the best.

1 Comments:

  • I know how nice it is to vent about the X, er, future X in your case!

    I have never given my blog to my X either. Sometimes I worry son will slip up, and check it when he is at her home, but, nah...he won't do that!

    By Blogger Crazy East Coast Uncle, at 7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home