Exact Approximations

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Research Books a What What?

I was at work today pushing a 4:00 deadline on a motion. The internet went down. Jumping up, running down the hall, freaking out.
Lex: "What the hell is going on with the internet?"
Front Secretary: "I don't know... I'm bummed too, I was trying to watch a Mary J. Blige video..."
Lex: Anxiety. "Fuck a Mary J. Blige video, I have a motion to write. Where the hell is WestLaw? Call IT immediately."
Front Secretary: Smirking. "You broke it on purpose so we would have to call him." Everyone knows I dig computer geek eye candy.
Lex: "No time for soap opera fun, no time. How will I research?"
Front Secretary: Points to walls and walls of Case Reporters.
Lex: "What are those? I don't know how to use those. Good God man, The Boss is going to have my head. I might need to go do this from home..."
Front Secretary: "Calm down. IT will be here soon. Here, look at this index, what's the subject matter?"
Lex: "Oh man. I'm so screwed."

The internet came back on by 3:00. The motion got finished and filed. Life is ok.

I should have paid more attention when the nice Boalt librarians took us around and blabbed about the West Digest Key System. That would have saved me and afternoon of stomach-wretching Xanax feening.

4 Comments:

  • I can identify. On such a large campus, I hate trekking all the way to the other side of the river just to go to the library that houses the journals in my field.

    So as much as I can, I rely on resources available via the U of M library system online.

    By Blogger SouthernCanadian, at 1:24 AM  

  • There's a lot of books to be sifting through. Ick. Don't envy that task.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 9:01 AM  

  • It is so funny how much we rely on 'puters. When ours go down at work we are completely helpless. Can't even do business. At all.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:08 AM  

  • When I was in law school, it wasn't quite the Dark Ages. It was the dawning of the Age of Enlightment and computers. We were told not to rely on the computers, more because the crack was only free while we were still in school than because of IT availability concerns. Of course, we all relied on the computers because it was just so much damn easier.

    Glad your motion got done in time.

    By Blogger -Ann, at 12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home