Exact Approximations

Monday, May 08, 2006

And the Dreams that you Dare to Dream - Really Do Come True

Mission Accomplished. Seriously. Not just Bush Iraq War style.

Got the Fail Bonus. More than I hoped for: He is paying for Barbri. He is paying all filing fees. He is paying $1500 more than I requested for my moving stipend.

There were two things he asked:

1) Come into the office 2 days per week rather than the entire 6 weeks off I opened with:

The Boss: "I'll cover Barbri. But six weeks is quite some time. Could you give me 12 days of work during that period?" Not really a request. Clearly a demand.

Lex: Restraint. Part of me was ready to offer every day because he agreed to pay for BarBri. "Well...certainly if something is pressing, some sort of motion, I can come in, kick that out and make up the lost study time. So long as it's not the two weeks before the bar. That is what I was thinking."

The Boss: "Well, I would like to have time scheduled where you are in the office. You could also study weekends."

Lex: He really wants this. Damn, I didn't want to study on weekends. Don't overplay a hand when you weren't even dealt in to begin with. "Good point. That addresses one of my concerns, this way I won't feel out of the loop on the cases."

The Boss: "That will work, and then, those two days you come in, if things are slow, you can study here. And certainly take the whole two weeks before the exam."

Lex: Nodding. "I like that." Super-sweet.

2) The second request:

The Boss: "One more thing Lex, as entertaining as it has been, I have to ask that you to give up the blog. I've been keeping up for months."

Lex: Holy shit. "Which case are you billing for that time?"

The Boss: "Which case are you billing for that time? That's not the point. It's risky Lex, you've gotta give it up. Get a journal. Why do you need to put it out there publicly?"

Lex: "Because I'm an attention whore. It's my therapy. I can't give it up, not a chance."

The Boss: "I don't really want you to give it up. I love it. Never tell anyone that I know. And could you please not imply that I smell bad ever again?"

Lex: "Fair enough. Now that I know you're reading, I'll be sure to never imply that you are an asshole again either. Deal?"

The Boss: "Deal."

Team Handshake.

I feel really, really, really good right now. I failed the bar yet somehow, still feel like I won. I get to keep my job doing plaintiff's work. I get to to take the best bar course and don't have to pay for it. I get to have my boss throw down for a decent apartment when my credit would have relegated me to the ghetto. I get two-day weeks starting June 1st. Sure, I'll be studying for the bar, but I'll be doing it at home in sweats. I'll only have to wear nylons 12 days this summer - max.

There it is folks. In monetary terms, it works out to a lump sum equal to round-about 15% my annual income. Not too shabby seeing as we are still set to renegotiate come October when I pass the bar.

He doesn't really know about the blog. I just added that part because it happened in my mind and was funny to me.

7 Comments:

  • Lex, congrats! It must be some legally blonde negotiating tool or something, I really didn't have a good feeling for you today, so, tried to keep my mouth shut...but, it was not in the blood, as you know:)

    Until the last line, I was all set to address Boss in this comment post!

    Lex, I think you have to nominate him for Boss of the year. He will have to beat me out, but, he sounds worthy!

    Congrats - and this time - STUDY YOUR ASS OFF! NO EXCUSES! We all love you and are pulling for you!

    Just do it!

    By Blogger Crazy East Coast Uncle, at 4:48 PM  

  • You know, you scared the shit out of me when you said he knew about the blog. Other than that Fuck yeah baby! Fn a cotton Fn a!
    -BF

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:59 PM  

  • Bullshit. ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:59 PM  

  • Bullshit back to you Sadie. And welcome back. I'll dedicate a post to your return, after the glory of my come-up passes.

    As for you CECU - I don't remember offering up excuses. I could come up with at least three, and The Boss even offered some good ones during our talk - but it has always been my position that I didn't do what I needed to do. Full responsibility.

    As for the July test - consider it passed. Now that I got my ass handed to me by the bar, I intend to go back there and hand a nice piece of ass right back...

    Well, that sounds weird, but you know what I mean. I'm going to spank it.

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 5:09 PM  

  • Awwww s--t... I loved that the boss knew.. Perhaps someone should tell him? Congrats.. I knew he wouldn't fire you.. your wayyyy tooo good. The thing about not wearing nylons for the summer.. Not.. You gotta go back to work in August.. Congrats again and again..
    Loony Tunes Aunt & Uncle GQ

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:31 PM  

  • So am I the only one who didn't believe the boss bit?

    Congrats on the moola. Good luck on the exam.

    Care to sign up for my fratnerity? I can get you a discount on another bar review course.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 6:19 AM  

  • Suprised me too - like The Boss would really say "Ditch it, nah, go ahead" and then let me post the conversation.

    Man, I'm so going to get fired for this blog someday.

    As for the fraternity... it sounds interesting, but I don't need much of a discount after the smoking deal of "free"

    *sweet*

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home