Exact Approximations

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Five Tuesday Tidbits. No Wait, Make that Six.

1) Traffic was a bitch again today. Freeways and streets were closed again. Why? Oh, you know, so our asshole President could get out of town. Fine with me. I thought the Valley reeked of corruption and stupidity anyhow....

2) I dreamt last night that I worked for a super-evil defense attorney that sits across the table in one of our cases. I despise this woman and have spent hours pouring over discovery motions and responses in an effort to get her Bench-Slapped. In my dream, we are driving to court preparing to argue one of these motions. Looking ahead, she very quietly tells me "we really don't have any legal authority to stand on." I turn, face her and say in a strong voice full of stone-cold determination: "But we will win." Eeeeeww. I dream of being a slimy defense attorney.

3) My favoritest, favoritest person from law school is super-liberal Environmental Fundamentalist (EF). EF was that one student in every law school that raises her hand 5 times per class and goes off about tangential policy matters. This bugged a lot of people. I loved it, because her engagement with professors created a Socratic-Shield for the people sitting behind, in front of and on her sides. I never got called on. I think EF is about to sell-out and work for a defense firm in San Francisco. This makes me sad. But it is hard to balance idealistic notions, law school loans and an expensive, but cute, fashion habit.

4) I was followed for about 3 miles today all the way to the 8th floor of the parking garage at my work. I pulled in and heard someone trotting towards me. She had seen my license plate frame, which reads "Boalt Hall School of Law." Apparently there aren't many of us in Phoneix and when you see a fellow Boaltie, you chase them. I completely understand. She is working at an incredibly successful firm located on the floors above us. In the elevator, I mention that her firm rejected me when I interviewed during 2004 OCIP. Awkward look of surprise. She replies that the firm usually runs Boalt Applicants by her. I joked that I was high that day, and maybe that came through during the interview. Big smile. S
he responds that I should come to her office and talk sometime. I was flattered. Again, I felt the firy urge to sell out. Their associates make twice as much as I do. But I really don't want to be the Lex described in the above #2.

5) I love My Banker. I hate my bank. I overdrew my account by $70 and almost got stuck with $250 worth of fees. Turns out my bank has a super-screwy way of retroactively pinging people for purchases that appear to be covered by available funds. My Banker proceeded to explain, and I subsequently failed to understand. My Banker then proceeded to risk her ass and talk to her manager about the problem. And it worked. Oh Thank God. Banks are like the DMV - they have these strange screens with numbers and codes and you just get lost in the insanity. Fear of math is why I went to law school.


6) The Boss just came back from a meeting with the pastor of a local church whose congregation is overwhelmingly composed of members of minority groups. All of this post was already written except for this part. The Boss' has committed to working with the local churches in an effort to create a legal program for low-income minorities who experience difficulty/distrust with the legal system and yet are oftentimes the very people who are most likely to receive sub-standard medical care, police treatment, etc. The Boss is very, very excited about this. For all the right reasons. This makes my earlier toying with the idea of running upstairs in the dollar chase very easy to disregard.

13 Comments:

  • I hate it when you have a great post like that, and some asshole thinks it appropriate to attempt to advertise!

    Doesn't the air smell better when W leaves town.

    nzbtb

    By Blogger Crazy East Coast Uncle, at 11:37 AM  

  • What!! Talk to her boss!!! Your banker has MAD SKILLS (at pushing paper and deposit through at just the right time)
    The boss had no part of it!!!

    Heehehee....thanks though!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:58 PM  

  • Your writing skills astound me. I dont know where you find the time for it. Keep fighting the good fight.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:08 PM  

  • Heehee

    CECU: Totally. I thought nonsensical word verification was supposed ot take care of this crap.

    My Banker: My bad. You totally kick ass. And your boss should get to kissing yours.

    Logan: You sound hot. I'm all about the good fight, what other reason to live is there for an atheist with a conscience?

    ;)

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 4:21 PM  

  • I've really never understand what's good about the fight.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 4:29 PM  

  • Arbusto you cynical man. You have clearly been in law school for longer than 4 weeks.

    To me, it really does tie into the atheism thing. The thing about not believing in God is that I don't have the ability to be "forgiven." I don't have the freedom to turn my head to the evils of earth and tell myself it will all be ok because those people who suffer will get theirs later, from God.

    So any amends or improvements I need to make - or any justice that I truly believe in...I can only work towards those things in this life. It's my only shot. Pushing this mentality and living by it makes my life feel useful. The desire for constant, immediate improvement makes a fight - a right fight - feel really good.

    Of course, the whole "this is all I have for all of eternity" part of atheism is also a bit overwhelming. So I have to revert to irreverence just to maintain sanity. That part of my life is super-over-represented on my blog

    =)

    P.S. - Dave Mathews Band Rocks.

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 5:04 PM  

  • Damnit, Lex, I can no longer read your blog because you like DMB. It's against my religion!

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 6:37 PM  

  • See Arbusto, look at all the problems religion causes

    =)

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 8:58 AM  

  • Isn't it an opiate? Shouldn't that make us happy and not cause problems? mmmm....drugs.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 10:34 AM  

  • Is it cheesy that I seriously thought you were going to abandon your readership - and that made me feel a little sad?

    Anyhow -

    Religion as an opiate? No, no, no -- that's the Dave Mathews Band.

    On the other hand, maybe religion IS like a bunk drug. Something you take thinking it will be an awesome trip. Then... next thing you know, you wise up and your world has gone to hell. It's a historic defect humans seem to have forgotten to evolve out of.

    Well, except for the Mormons. We all know the Joseph-Landers got it right ;)

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 10:42 AM  

  • C'mon, Lex, do you think I'd abandon you? Though, I do harbor slightly disgruntled feelings for your ill wishing of DMB on me.

    Opiate of the masses - Marx.

    Joseph Landers getting it right - South Park.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 12:12 PM  

  • Ah yes, Marx.

    And someone's superior reading and historical knowledge becomes all too apparent.

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 12:16 PM  

  • I'm more amused by the crossing of the academic spectrum: historical/political literature to animated, vulgar South Park. Awesome.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home