Exact Approximations

Monday, November 21, 2005

Creative Spam

I just received an email from Department@fbi.gov which read:

Dear Sir/Madam,

We have logged your IP-address on more than 30 illegal Websites. Important:Please answer our questions! The list of questions are attached.

Yours faithfully,

Steven Allison

*** Federal Bureau of Investigation -FBI-
*** 935 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Room 3220
*** Washington, DC 20535
*** phone: (202) 324-3000 "


Gotta hand it to them, this is way better than emails entitled "Lex, urgent order" of "To Ms. Fori on the Behalf of Some Billionaire."

Still though, see your way to my junk mail, stupid assholes.

5 Comments:

  • Isn't there a law against impersonating a federal officer?

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 2:38 PM  

  • I'm sure there is a law against it. Not that virus folk would care. But, really, you should know more about this than me. I'm here working on real cases, dealing with real people and real judges. You are in law school still. You should know way more about the law than me =)

    The email came with an attachment, apparently containing the list of questions I was to answer. Another humorous angle: For fun, I checked the FBI website for a Steven Allison. No dice. Well, not listed anyhow. And I doubt that the guy who handles my illegal IP logs would be exclusive enough to require Scooter to tell me his name. Outside of my email, of course.

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 2:48 PM  

  • I got the same thing, and knew it was fake with the signature line.

    Nobody, most especially an FBI officer investigating you, signs:

    "Yours faithfully."

    did you open the attachment?

    By Blogger wt, at 9:46 AM  

  • Oh no-no way. I knew stat is was some bullshit, and found the faithfully part a bit out of hand as well. I gotta say though, part of me really wanted to. I did a blog-search on this guy and got nothing - except that a buncha people blogged about receiving the same spam.

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 9:50 AM  

  • Oh - WT - one more thing...

    Do you by chance have an @boalthall.berkeley address? I'm wondering if it found it's way through the CalMail system.

    Cal really needs to stop leeting 19 year old softmores run the IT department. Just a thought.

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home