Exact Approximations

Monday, July 23, 2007

So Today I Went to This Interview...

... and I met a few attorneys at BigLaw. Most of these meetings went extremely well. But one thing has me very concerned. One of the Partners I met kept asking and talking (more so the talking) about Old Boss. Basically, he hates Old Boss. No surprise. Most defense attorneys hate Old Boss. But he went on and on about it, gossiping about Old Boss. It made me uncomfortable. He asked me direct questions about how I felt about Old Boss. I tried to be kind and evasive:


Lex: "Old Boss is a smart man; a great attorney. He's really nice, but we did have professional differences.He'svery hands-on, which works for him, but I knew I would see little opportunity for development."

Interviewer: More bad things about Old Boss.

Lex: More uncomfortable. Tried to change the conversation a few times, but inevitably it landed in the same spot.


I dunno what to think. I will admit that I laughed at a couple of good burns that he directed at Old Boss. But what was the motivation? Was I being tested to see if I'm gossipy? Was Interviewer feeling me out to determine why I want to do defense after doing plaintiffs work for so long? Did he want to ensure I don't like Old Boss? Was he searching for a vendetta that might drive me? A vendetta that demonstrates unprofessional levels of emotion? Was he simply venting? Was my inability to stop said vent my undoing? I have no idea. It's strange.

Lets hope tomorrow's interview goes smoother. I know an attorney at this firm and told him that I interviewed somewhere else - so, if they really want me, they better get on the ball. Partner called me the next day, told me they needed someone with my experience, and scheduled me for an all-day, meet-everyone, free-lunch, interview. Sweet.

Wish me luck.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • Sounds like OLD Boss must have kicked that guys ass a few times in court. However, perhaps you might know of a few weaknesses about old boss, and perhaps that is what they were looking for, someone who knows where the bones are buried.

    On the otherhand, Good Luck tomorrow with your next interview. Actually, that one sounds more interesting. An ALL DAY meet and greet?!!! That usually happens after you have been hired! They are probably checking to see if you have a team attitude and how you interact with everyone, not just your boss! Personally, I like the concept.

    Knowing you, you will be a shining star! Have fun!

    By Blogger Crazy East Coast Uncle, at 5:39 PM  

  • Yeah, still stumped on that one. I would think that kind of thing would be considered a little un professional. I would never bash a competitor, or anyone that works at one in an interview...on either end (interviewer or interviewie)
    Crazy.
    Luck on tomarrows.. hope all goes well!!
    By the way, have you ever noticed...in that Gin & Juice song, snoop says sadie?
    "As I take me a drink to the middle of the street
    And get to mackin to this bitch named sadie (sadie? )
    She used to be the homeboys lady (oh, that bitch)
    Eighty degrees, when I tell that bitch please
    Raise up off these n-u-ts, cause you gets none of these
    At ease, as I mob with the dogg pound, feel the breeze
    Beeeitch"
    Damn.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:16 PM  

  • I suck at interviews. I would have misstated my name and probably have been wearing my pants as my necktie and my necktie as my pants.

    But I'm done with the bar for this round.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 6:38 PM  

  • My guess would be that he was almost certainly just venting anger, and not testing you to see if you were too gossipy.

    The appropriate response to questions like these is always confidence and balance. I see where you're coming from and think Old Boss did this and that for me, but don't know much about other facets of his personality. What you've said sounds like there's more than meets the eye to Old Boss, but fortunately I've never seen those sides. Maybe I will once I join your firm and we become adversaries.

    By Blogger wt, at 10:28 AM  

  • Still alive over there LexFori? Get back on the blogger bus...beepbeep. ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home