Exact Approximations

Friday, July 13, 2007

Turkelton's Words of Wisdom

"Can't talk now, good things happenin" - Chris Turk

Finally.

Surgery was approved. I go under the knife to get my womanhood removed. Probably on the 23d or 24th.

BigLaw called. I'm scheduled to meet with a buncha partners and associates next week. Biggest concern BigLaw has is a lack of experience. I haven't done many depositions and the Old Boss never let me do oral argument. Any advice on how to handle this hurdle is greatly appreciated. Especially those of you at BigLaw. Anything you've got on what BigLaw wants to hear/ see/ anything would be a big help.

Got some food stamps. Sweet. Now we can eat. Yee-haw!

Mom is still here. That's always a good thing. Mommys help. Good ones do.

Daughter came home yesterday!!! I almost cried I was so happy to see her. She was gone for five weeks. Longest we've ever been separated.

Step-Son is coming today!!!! I haven't seen him since April. When both of the kids are here, I'm the happiest I can be. Today and tomorrow are going to be awesome.

I really want to thank all of you who are still reading and left kind words of support. That really did me good. It's amazing how people you don't even really know can be there for you. That's been the best part of the blogosphere. I'm interested in those who commented. Long time lurkers I've never heard of.

"Make Mine a Triple": I inserted lots of fun obscenities. That was a great exercise in making fun of Old Boss. You'll be on the blogroll soon.

Busto: Here's to taking it to the next level. We exchanged "real names" recently. I have a MySpace under my real name if you want to be my friend.

Sarah: Word on the vacation. I've had a ton of time off of work, but none of it for fun. I really want to go to Disneyland. Or Africa. That would be awesome.

Nony "This to Shall Pass": You're right. I"m finally starting to see that things have to get better. Now I'm wondering where you went to school and if I know you. I'm a Boaltie - graduated in Spring 2005. If you did too, or went to my school, email me your name. I want to look you up in the facebook. Please keep lurking - I'm an attention whore.

Special thanks out to Sadie and Uncle Reptile. I know I stayed in my room, but it helped knowing you guys were there and care so much.

To the family: I don't think I'll be ready to talk about all this until after surgery when I can see the light. I love you all and hope you understand my contact delay.


"Sometimes I watch Roots to remind myself how good I have it." - Chris Turk.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

  • "I have a MySpace under my real name if you want to be my friend."
    I want to talk so much smack right now, but I'll spare you. Damn MySpace whore. :-)
    Hope all goes well with Big Law and Big Axe. See you this weekend.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:15 PM  

  • Mmmrf

    Um. It's not MyFault. IT's the only way I could communicate with my Hobo Missouri friends... And Daughter. Yeah. Their fault.

    What's this about you offerin' the youngin' Didneyland? When?

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 3:52 PM  

  • I'm thinkin August sometime, but not sure. BF has to get time off, and it has to be before she starts school...duh. But BF gettin time off is worse than pulling teeth. Guess the iguanas and bearded dragons can't live without him :-)
    We'll see. I really wanna go with bf, but maybe we'll have to ditch him and make it a ladies trip.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:26 PM  

  • Myspace sucks. But I found Miss Lex.

    And Scrubs is the win.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 4:27 PM  

  • Hey there...I've been around for a while on another blog, which I deleted. I e-mailed you with my new location (as connected with the prior identity), but it sounds like maybe you didn't get that e-mail? Drop me a line and I'll fill you in.

    Big Law likes to hear the general schmoozy stuff any firm wants to hear...so if you don't have actual experience in an area, I think sincere enthusiasm for learning and a passion for the area can go a long way. So, if they are worried about your lack of experience in depos, then you might discuss how much you enjoyed the depos you did (for whatever reason a person might like that...I dunno, because you liked the push-and-pull as you tried to extract as much info as possible, or as you leveraged your knowledge of the rules to protect your client's interests, etc. -- sorry, I don't have a lit practice, so I don't know much about this), and you might talk about how, as much as you enjoyed your previous job, you wished it had afforded you the opportunity to take on more responsibility, such as handling more depositions, but that working with a solo practitioner who was very hands-on, that just wasn't in the cards.

    Hope that helps.

    By Blogger Make Mine a Triple, at 8:15 PM  

  • Hi Lex - Nony "This Too Shall Pass" here. I can't figure out how to email you, but I am a 2005 Boaltie! My initials are PRC and I went to undergrad at the Univ. of Colorado at Denver. There were a few Univ. of Colorado folks at Boalt, but as a recall I was the only CU at Denver grad. This should be a sufficient amount of info to find me – look me up on the CA Bar site and send me an email, I am curios to learn who you are too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:24 PM  

  • Nony TTSP:

    Figured out who you are - but I can't find your email on Berkeley's website. I think I know you, although I doubt you know me. I was quite the absentee student ;)

    Anyhow - email me at exactapproximations@gmail.com and I'll shoot you the real identity; soas you can FaceBook me.

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 4:53 PM  

  • Hey...
    I'm on now!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home