Exact Approximations

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

E.P.T. = Embarrassing Purchase Tale

During my lunch break, I went to my local drugstore to purchase a pregnancy test. [Boys - Caution - Girl Stuff Coming]. My period hasn't started, I've been incredibly nauseous, and my boobs are swollen. Not all bad. But I finally got worried enough to wonder whether I was maybe knocked up. The idea seemed outlandish at first - I've been told by plenty of doctors that I probably cannot have more children. A week passed and still no period. It should have come by now. And there were those two days in a row last month that I forgot to take my pill, and even though we used condoms for a few days like you're supposed to, there were other, non-condom escapades... Plus, Fiance' and I have a lot of sex, so the chances of me getting sperminated while ovulating are decent (save for the whole "I'm supposed to be infertile" thing). Anyhow, today was the day I decided that I needed to make sure one way or the other. So I go to the drugstore, grab the box, and walk to the counter to purchase the only item I retrieved.

The cashier engaged me:

Cashier: Looks down at my purchase as he scans it. Beep. "Quite a day huh?" Glance at my face searches for a reaction.
Lex: Oh My God, he is talking about my pregnancy test! "Yup." Big smile.
Cashier: "So, you're hoping for a positive result?" He's genuinely curious. Why?
Lex: Oh My God, how can he ask me that!!! "Yeah." Embarrassed girlie smile.
Cashier: "Do you want a boy or a girl?"
Lex: Can't believe I'm having this conversation. "Doesn't matter, so long as the baby is healthy."
Cashier: Smile. "That's what counts."
Lex: "Sure is."
Cashier: "Well, good luck. Here's your receipt."
Lex: What, am I going to return the test if I don't get the result I want? "Thanks." Walks out quickly.
The thing is, I wasn't buying the test "hoping" I am pregnant. I was scared. All I could think about was what I would do, how Fiance' would feel, how Daughter would react. Will I keep the baby? I've always said I am pro-choice but could never have an abortion myself. But I've talked about doing it if I became pregnant by accident. Especially at this point in my life, when I'm poor, trying to get healthy, wishing I were established in my career, and so on. On the other hand, I love being a mom, and they all said I can't have another baby, so if I am pregnant, shouldn't I keep the baby because I might not ever have this chance again? Would it be like "a sign." Nah, I don't believe in signs. Point is, I wasn't buying the test with the hope it would give me a "+" for pregnancy. But I pretended like I did to Cashier Guy, because I didn't want him to judge me. I didn't want this random stranger to think I was some whore who got knocked up, probably to get some guy to stay with me or to milk someone for child support. I didn't want him to think bad of me, so I lied and pretended I was ecstatic at the possibility.

I got to work and immediately went to the restroom and peed on the stick.

Negative.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

  • Dude, I took like 4 tests before the results came out positive. Wait a week...if no period, then take another one. And if you bought the cheap brand that costs like 3 bucks for four of them, trash them and get the good kind. Fingers crossed for ya. If Miranda on "Sex and the City" can get pregnant with a lazy ovarie and her boyfriend has one ball, then your chances are good too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:17 PM  

  • Miranda is the only redeeming factor for Sex and the City. She was in an episode of House once and it was good.

    I don't know anything about pregnancy tests so I got nothing to say on that matter. I did at one time have another good thing EPT stood for but I forgot that. Good story, 'busto. Way to go. Then I found 20 bucks.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 10:05 AM  

  • What happened to Sadie...I take a little while off...for good reason...and Sadie disappears again!

    Reason for taking off Blogging for awhile....I found four "tests" kits in sons room, where son and girlfriend have been spending way too much time!!!!!!!

    So, there I mentioned it! More after next Tuesday has come and gone!

    By Blogger Crazy East Coast Uncle, at 7:01 PM  

  • STOP HAVING KIDS YOU WHITE TRASH!! ALL OF YOU!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:09 AM  

  • Nony stikes again. Just wish you had kids, don't you n0ny.

    There will be no pregancies here! We are 99%+ sure of that! Will explain later.

    By Blogger Crazy East Coast Uncle, at 2:41 AM  

  • PLEASE GET YOUR SON A VASECTOMY

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home