Exact Approximations

Monday, March 05, 2007

Reporting In.

Oh man, the deposition was Awesome!!! The Boss left me to do it alone. I was scared, but tried to hide it beneath all my green. About five minutes in, I realized I had yet to make an objection. So I just started throwing those fuckers out every 5-7 questions, just to screw with his tempo. Wasn't even quite sure why I was objecting most times - I just went with "If it sounds wrong, object." I really should have taken some moot court or trial practice courses. Who knew I'd end up a civil litigator? In any event, it got to the point where he'd ask a question, and then look at me for my response. Awesome. I totally heard the Star Wars music.

Anyhow, I was slightly insulted today when a fellow attorney failed to notice the level I'm playing at. Elevator talk, as always, can clear up confusions regarding the assumptions we make about people.
BigLaw Lady: "Where's your stuff?"
Lex: "Huh?"
BigLaw Lady: "You leave it upstairs?"
Lex: "Leave what upstairs?"
BigLaw Lady: "Aren't you a court reporter? I always see you around and thought you were a reporter."
Lex: Laughing. More Star Wars music. "No, I'm a lawyer." It feels good to be able to say that finally.
BigLaw Lady: "Really? You work for [The Boss]?"
Lex: Dee-dee-dee. There's only two firms on this floor. "Yup."
BigLaw Lady: "What kind of work do you do?"
Lex: Ambulance chasing. You know damn well what we do. "Ah, you know, personal injury, wrongful death. Mostly catastrophic damages type stuff."
BigLaw Lady: "Oh, I'm surprised we haven't..."
Lex: "Seen eachother across the table? I'm sure the day will come. Look forward to it."
BigLaw Lady: Awkward smile. "Me too."

Yeah, see you then lady. I'll kick your ass. Well, The Boss will kick your ass, but I'll be spottin'.

Labels:

3 Comments:

  • Hey darling you don't need the boss to kick her ass.. you can do that now (and legally) with your eyes closed... GOOOOO LEX.. You are finally getting it.. You are not good.. Your Great..
    Loony Tunes Aunt

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:08 PM  

  • Arbusto gonna need a job soon. Arbusto scared.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 3:07 PM  

  • Well, it is about time. Way kewl! Glad to hear it! You go girl!

    Still waiting to hear how the Boss hooked you up! Inquiring minds want to know!

    By Blogger Crazy East Coast Uncle, at 3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home