Exact Approximations

Monday, April 02, 2007

Life is Better Betrothed

Upgrade: Boyfriend, hereinafter Fiance.

The most amazing eyes I have ever seen: green rims surround bright yellow bands that contrast starkly against the black pupils they encapsulate. The yellow glows golden when he fills with emotion. Sitting outside, I was chatting about needing to call Step-Dad to wish him Happy Birthday.

"When I call, you can ask Step-Dad if he'll let you get engaged to me." I joked.
"How about you get engaged to me and then call him?" Smiled cutely.
"That doesn't make sense dork." I didn't pick up on the hint. "I have to call today - while it's still his birthday."
"Well." He glanced down nervously. "It's just that I can't wait anymore."

Tilting his face towards me, the golden in his eyes glowed brighter tonight than I have ever seen. He fought to hold back a faint mist of tears as he began to speak. Everything I ever imagined he might say at this moment was strung together in short, poetic sentences. Staring straight into my soul, he wished for forever with me, if I'd have him. Life washed over me and I buried my head into his chest. Memories. So many times I imagined this moment. Countless times I pretended that he had asked me to marry him. Practiced my acceptance in my mirror. Daydreamed about wedding details. Mind-designed my dress. Worked my new last name into my signature. Since I was 14, I have wished more times than I can remember that someday this boy might be my husband. And today, here I was, hearing this man asking me to be his wife. I smiled and cried whispers.

"Is that a yes?" He held out the ring.
"Yes. Yes. Yes. Of course. Yes, My Love. Yes." He slid it onto my finger.

I ran inside and told Daughter.

Labels:

8 Comments:

  • Lex, sorry I missed your call. Congradulations! I wouldn't have it any other way! Hope to see you, fiance', and grandaughter soon. I just gotta lose mom first.
    As always, my best and love to you all.
    Step-dad

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:25 PM  

  • Congrats!!!

    By Blogger The Once and Future TC, at 9:49 PM  

  • Congratulations, Lex and Fiance!

    Leela says "Hi" too. Since she's more popular than I am.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 1:11 PM  

  • Congratulations to you both!! That's so exciting! I'm really happy for you guys, Lex! :)

    By Blogger SouthernCanadian, at 6:05 PM  

  • It's going to be hilarious when you guys get divorced. I can't wait for the blogs when that happens!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:00 PM  

  • What a JA. How is nony only comes out of the cracks when LexFori is on cloud 9. Must be really bothersome to her that things are swell in 'Proximation land.
    Tisk tisk.
    Congrats Lex fori.
    Get bent nony.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:34 PM  

  • Yeahhh Lex... Congrats to all three of you..
    Loony Tunes Aunt

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:14 AM  

  • Wow, sorry for the delay...Congrats Big Time!

    Hugs and kisses to all of you!

    By Blogger Crazy East Coast Uncle, at 8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home