Exact Approximations

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Mixed Messages

I've been getting mixed feedback at work. On the one hand, Office Manager and Front Secretary have repeatedly told me that The Boss really, really likes my work product. Over the past months, I've written numerous pre-trial, trial, and post-trial motions. And everyone, second-hand, tells me The Boss is really impressed.

But when The Boss talks to me about my work it's always "Show me your best effort" and "Make this the best it can be." When hearing it from The Boss, I feel like my work is substandard. When I'm hearing it from others, I feel like a rock star.

My theory is that The Boss doesn't want to bloat my ego or give me grounds for demanding a significant raise once I finally pass the bar. But, still, I think I would be a happier/less stressed out/ more productive worker if The Boss threw down some positivity.

Sorry for the lack of posting, I've been feeling awful. I'm moving tomorrow to my new apartment and will be without internet (egad) until sometime next week. See ya'll then.

3 Comments:

  • You're going to be without internet? What are we going to do without you? Oh wait...nevermind.

    Just kidding, Lex!

    Hope all goes well!

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 3:40 PM  

  • When the Boss says these things to you, it's before you do the work, right? What does he say to you after you do the work?

    I think your suspicions about the Boss not wanting you to get a swelled head and to rest on your laurels (what the heck are those anyway???) are correct.

    Hang in there and good luck with the move.

    By Blogger -Ann, at 9:42 AM  

  • Hey, Lex, I can finally post comments here again! I am glad you moved. :)

    Actually...I am back,

    By Blogger Crazy East Coast Uncle, at 8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home