Exact Approximations

Thursday, May 18, 2006

I Move for a Vacation.

Dear The Boss,

If you want me to successfully obtain a Rule 59 Second Chance, try to get me your thoughts more than five days before the deadline.

If it suits you,

Lex.

Sometimes I wonder how the partner-half thinks. Do they forget that newbies have to research for hours and hours to figure out something a seasoned attorney just *knows*? I mean, I like working until 8:00 just as much as the next guy, but it really is a matter of quality. I have never even seen a motion for a new trial, let alone tried to singlehandedly write one. Pretending to be a lawyer is hard. But it's flattering. The Boss has been giving more responsibility, assuming dependability, and apparently placing greater faith in my mad skills. This is awesome. I wrote a motion during trial that he made not one change to, and it was immediately granted, over vigorous objection of defense counsel. That felt good. Still, a motion such as this is rather all-encompassing and I'm anxious about doing well given the short deadlines provided by the Rule. I've been staring at my draft for days, and finally told The Boss that he needed to take a look-see and tell me what needs to be changed, added to, deleted, etc. He hasn't called yet.

I've been dreaming about law school a lot lately. I dream it is finals season and I wake up realizing I have an exam in an hour. The problem is always that I completely forgot I was even in the class, hadn't gone all semester, had no idea what was covered, and I feel overwhelming anxiety. The other law school dream scenario is where I wake up, decide I don't really want to wake up, and decide to ditch class. Then I wake up for real, realize I can't ditch work, and feel bummed.

I think the law school dreams stem from two absolute truths of my current life status: 1) Gone are the days of college and grad school when I never had to do anything, never had to be anywhere, had no real hard and fast schedule. I would get up, go to the beach, play my guitar and do whatever I wanted. 2) Those days have been replaced with a life consisting of absolutely no free time. Given that I will be taking time off to study for Round 2 of the bar, coupled with all the time I missed when I started here due to ill-health, I don't get any vacation time anywhere in the near future. New Paralegal is taking tomorrow off for a vacation day. The Boss, who just returned from a week's vacation, is leaving again tomorrow for a weekend at a resort. I don't hold it against them, I'm just really jealous.

3 Comments:

  • Go see the Da Vinci Code :)

    By Blogger Crazy East Coast Uncle, at 7:42 AM  

  • Did you already see it?

    I loved the book, not a whole lot of "news," thanks to CECU.

    But the reviews I'm hearing aren't so good.... I'll see it when it's on video is my guess.

    I'm still getting around to seeing Brokeback Mountain

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 8:45 AM  

  • Saw it on Friday! As a movie goes, no, it didn't have the same thrill as the book. However, if there is anyone out there who is not familiar with this story, it is a great movie to see! I would encourage anybody to see it!

    For those who might think that it is all hogwash, it isn't! If your faith is so restricting that you can't think for yourself, then, perhaps this movie is not for you! However, if you have ever wondered about some of the crazy dogma of the christian faith, this movie only scratches the surface! I think it is a good starting point for those who have questions, but have been oppressed from expressing such queries in a christian setting!

    I could go on and on about this topic, as Lex knows, so, if you have some questions for me about this, drop by my blog, and we can discuss it! I don't want to take up that much space on Lex's site! I don't think Lex would appreicate that too much! (I edited this post four times to get it to a decent size!)

    By Blogger Crazy East Coast Uncle, at 4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home