Exact Approximations

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Don't Judge a Book By its Cover

Or my Settlement Conference Memo by its first sentence.

This afternoon, I handed off a copy of the document I have been falling over myself writing. He must have only read a page, because he then proceeded to call me into his office and discuss strategy with me- giving me a whole list of things to make sure are in there. Most already are.

Now, I can't blame him too much. His time is worth money and he wants me to learn, learn, learn. But sometimes-- I feel like The Boss lacks consistency. It's hard to know where to go. One day it's "You think their defense expert is being a sneaky legal whore? Say so right out!" The next it's "understatements can really get you far." Perhaps there is method to his madness, but I think it's mostly intuitive. The Boss is more unpredictable in his approach to things than any other boss I've ever had. This is way more frustrating than having my Frappucino stolen. But the cases keep taking turn after turn after turn for the better. I can't find coherence in his approach, but The Boss just keeps reeling them in, so I'll keep looking. Or work on my intuition, whichever occurs first.

In other news, the pre-surgery pain is back. I went to the doctor last week and she wants to do a full-on rule-out. Ultrasounds and CT scans and on and on. I probably need to follow-through, but I just don't want to miss anymore work. Or learn something I don't want to hear. Or get another bill that I can't pay.

In funnier news, Boyfriend was with me in the car the other day while I was listening to PMBR review CDs on Criminal Procedure. First of all, Boyfriend is a way better lawyer than me. We kept pausing the CD, thinking things through out loud, wondering what the result would be in such and such case. Un-pause. Lecturer gives the answer. Boyfriend was always right. Bastard. I've never been with someone and actually had the thought cross my mind that they might be smarter than me. Bastard. But he's a smart bastard, and that's pretty hot.

Anyhow, the funny part - discussing illegal searches and seizures, the lecturer went on and on about the "Taint Rule." That there are only two ways to get around the taint. The taint is difficult to elude. The taint is directly related to the Fruit of the Poisonous Tree. For those of you close to my age-range that understand the slang-meaning of taint -- this shit was pure comedy. I should study for the bar more often.

3 Comments:

  • Taint - hmmmm...seems to me, that would refer to that place on a female across from the webbing between the fingers when picking up a female as one would a six-pack! At least that was how we defined it back in "my" day!

    Is there another definition!? Please enlighten me if so!

    gkgvqr

    By Blogger Crazy East Coast Uncle, at 6:57 PM  

  • Well, I'm not sure what you mean with finger webbing and all...

    Taint: the perineum - the area between the genitals and anus, male or female, although the term is said to orginate from the saying "It ain't pussy and t'aint ass..."

    Definition courtesy of UrbanDictionary.com

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 8:44 AM  

  • Yes, indeed, that is what I meant!

    rmavgts

    By Blogger Crazy East Coast Uncle, at 9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home