Exact Approximations

Friday, December 09, 2005

I am a Bad, Bad, Stereotyping Liberal.

And so mad at myself for it. Learned recently that an attorney who leases office space at our firm is a Republican. This came about brilliantly, at the office Christmas Dinner, when The Boss made a toast:

"I just want to say, thanks to Leasing Attorney, the only conservative in the office. Dinner is on him. Way to use those tax cuts. Cheers."

I was impressed by The Boss' clever shit-talking. I was also completely in shock, because I just couldn't believe that a Republican was doing plaintiffs' work against BigLaw and BiggerInsuranceCompany.

But really, why should this shock me? There are plenty of Republicans who are socially liberal and fiscally conservative. And there are plenty of conservatives who support people's rights to recover for injury. It just hit me and I was totally surprised. I am such an asshole. You don't have to be a liberal to want to fight corporations. My bad. God Damn you Boalt Hall and your cookie-cutter, single-minded liberalese. This is a lesson I would have learned sooner had I not gone to school in the People's Republic of Berkeley.

2 Comments:

  • it's never too late to learn the lesson of tolerance.

    i think the "take home" information you've gleaned is that people of reasonable minds and good faith can disagree on almost any matter of mainstream policy.

    yes, even issues like the war in iraq, abortion, social security, and even gay marriage.

    so you can vehemently disagree with people, and yet be their colleagues, acquaintances, and even friends.

    --the token Boalt 2005 conservative

    By Blogger wt, at 7:18 PM  

  • And all along I thought Gangei had a lock on the 2005 Token Boalt Conservative...

    In fairness, I don't know any reasonable person that is against gay marriage. I'll never understand people that get butthurt by that possibility

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home