Exact Approximations

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Office Turmoil

Office Manager and Paralegal seem ansy lately. Don't know about Front Secretary, because she is on the phone all day and geographically separated from the rest of us, so she doesn't get involved or matter much. Unless she breaks out in handcuffs - and then I will be all over that shit.

Co-workers are begining to share gossip. I am learning why past attorneys left, what past bonuses have been, and what the ballpark ranges of everyone else's salaries are. Good news for me. I am sort of sitting back and watching the madness. Maybe it's the holidays. Maybe it's because this year hasn't been the best for the office, since most of the major high-damages cases are still pending. There is also a general frustration-consensus that The Boss has way too high of a tendency to come in 2 hours before we close shop and keep people around to complete projects that could have taken 1/2 as long were there better planning.

What I think is happening, at least for Paralegal and Office Manager, is that they have both been here for 5+ years - but last year, a chunk of the office staff was cut, leaving increased duties for both. I wonder (but don't really know) if both are feeling increased pressure to up their game - and then weren't accordingly awarded increased compensation. The Boss doesn't strike me as particularly cheap, but my standards are low. It's nice to know that everyone has issues with office life. For instance, my issue is that I am the Office Tard. See yesterday (apparently, twice).

1 Comments:

  • I love when you get to that point at a new job that people start telling you stuff. You're still new enough that you can sit back and watch and wonder how it's going to affect you. I don't like to get too involved in the office drama, but I do so love to watch.

    By Blogger -Ann, at 10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home