Exact Approximations

Friday, December 16, 2005

Albert Smith's Contribution to my Relationship.

Last night, I brought home a white rose for Boyfriend. Pulled it out from behind the case file I was slated to spend the eveining with and proclaimed that white roses conveyed apology. Burying his nose in the smell, Boyfriend inquired as to why a sorry was in order. I described the guilt I felt for working so much lately and never spending time with the family.

Boyfriend asked where the rose came from and I made some vague comment about there being tons of things available at my work. It's true, there are lots of jewelry and trinkets and cards for sale in our building. More than adequate supply of material items professionals can purchase and give to their disaffected families to substitute for actual relationships.

Anyhow, Two Things:

First: White roses, I discovered this morning, do not convey "I'm sorry." That's yellow.White, turns out, is associated with: Purity, Innocence, Reverence, Humility, Silence, Secrecy and Condolence.

Second: This makes a ton of sense. Especially the condolence part. As demonstrated by the exchange with Boyfriend, I was intentionally vague on where exactly the rose came from. See, I didn't actually buy the rose, so much as it was donated to me. Front Secretary moonlights as a Mortuary Hostess. The late Mr. Albert Smith was viewed and buried yesterday, and requested that his flowers be donated. Front secretary brought a boquet back to the office and I pulled out a white rose.

Now, am I out of line, or just indescribably efficient?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home