Exact Approximations

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Inappropriate Mental Associations

I have noticed that I sometimes have interactions with people who remind me of different people from my past. The weird part is that I find myself attributing my thoughts about the person I am reminded of to the new person who only physically resembles the person from the past. Two examples:

1) My doctor looks exactly like this girl named Amira from law school. Amira is super-duper hot. Man-o-man, is that girl a hottie. A nice hottie at that. She tranferred out of Harvard after one year for Berkeley because she felt her fellow students demonstrated an all too-awkward mixture of arrogance and insecurity. Many classes went by just a little quicker due to my readiness to fantasize about this girl. Now, she is suddenly my OB-GYN and it's like a fantasy come true, but in a sick, sick, twisted way. So now when my doctor is examining me, I associate her with Amira, and correspondingly I have had thoughts about my doctor that are entirely wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. However, Doctor did tell me yesterday that I need to have surgery next week, so that may pull Doctor out of this crazy inter-related-memory web and place her in her own category: People Who Bring Bad News. Very different from People Who Bring Great Daydreams.

2) Depositions yesterday. One of the clients is a younger man, dark hair, handsome. Really good guy. He is about 5 years younger than me and looks exactly like this 21 year old I had a torrid, meaningless sex affair with between my separation from Ex and my new relationship with Boyfriend. What can I say? I had an urge to find some young (but legal) young man and show him what it can be like. Break him in and give him something to brag about to his friends and remember fondly when he is old and not ever getting seduced by older women. So anyhow, Deposition Kid looks just like him, and I'm sitting there taking notes, remembering sex with the other guy, but associating it with Deposition Kid. I don't know where that falls in terms of professional responsibility. But in my mind, it's just so wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

3 Comments:

  • Sounds like repressed Xian guilt. That is the spice of life and why the clergy never want us to enjoy those thoughts! It is up to you to enjoy them or not. Whatever you do, don't stop writing about them. Now I suppose you are going to say that I am "wrong, wrong, wrong..."! :) hahahahaha Blogs are great for releasing your repressed feelings.

    By Blogger Crazy East Coast Uncle, at 11:00 AM  

  • I think it's just that you like sex. I see nothing wrong with that.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 2:37 PM  

  • Arbusto, this whole family is extremely hot blooded! I am just not sure where the guilt complex comes from for Lex!

    By Blogger Crazy East Coast Uncle, at 3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home