Exact Approximations

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Bated Breath

That's the correct spelling. Naysayers see here.

I put a note on The Boss' desk, requesting time to talk. We shall see how it goes... In yesterday's fit of job dissatisfaction, I posted my resume on a legal jobs website. This morning, I awoke to three emails in my inbox, all from recruiters wanting to meet with me. This is likely standard practice, but it made me feel wanted.

On a funnier note, I posted an ad seeking part time or temporary work on a local jobs website a couple weeks ago. Probably I shouldn't be taking on more hours, but I am trying to raise the money for my bar exam fee. I got a reply yesterday that said "No need to send a resume, just tell me, in short, your name, experience, qualifications, etc." I googled the name and contact info, and found that this man heads up a company that gets investors to buy property, convert it to condos and then sell for profits. Easy enough.

Armed with this knowledge, I offered this response:

"In short, you want to hire me.

However, you probably don't realize that just yet , so here is a bit more: I am 26 years-old and my name is Lex. If you're looking for someone who can show property, meet with potential investors etc., I have a nice car, am well-spoken, have an education and understand the importance of ego-stroking. I'm also a rather attractive woman who I suspect potential investors would not mind spending time talking with, not that my vanity or inappropriate hiring criteria would ever come into play.

I have lots of legal experience, having been through law school and worked at a couple of firms. Most of that experience has been in the field of employment and medical malpractice law. But I could find the answer to almost any legal question in a short period of time. I can also handle annoying children and the drooling elderly, which may seem to be an overly random piece of information, but I assure you it comes in handy. I also have substantial experience organizing events: I worked in the Bay Area organizing food drives for Alameda County and have headed up numerous clubs and fundraising events while I was a career student."

He emailed me back 15 minutes later, asking my salary requirements and availability.

5 Comments:

  • Naughty and awesome rolled into one. I am so jealous.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 4:31 PM  

  • Heh. Somehow, I don't know if my dad CareerGuy would cite this as an example of a good cover letter, but hey, if it gets results.

    My best cover letter ever was for a small newspaper in Madison, WI, who were looking for a freelance videogame reviewer. The first paragraph in my cover letter was about how I had been addicted to EverQuest (AKA Evercrack) for nearly two years. I got the job - it was great fun although like nearly all the fun things in my life, I had to give it up when we moved.

    Good luck with the job stuff. I think you're on the right track. Better to discuss things openly and see if you can hang onto a job with potential than to have to go out into the scary unknown.

    By Blogger -Ann, at 10:24 PM  

  • I want to be a video game reviewer! Gimmejob!

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 10:57 AM  

  • That's an outstanding letter. I can't decide which sentence I like better:

    "I'm also a rather attractive woman...not that my vanity or inappropriate hiring criteria would ever come into play"

    OR

    "I can also handle annoying children and the drooling elderly..."

    By Blogger SouthernCanadian, at 12:49 PM  

  • Definitely, "the drooling elderly".

    By Blogger Crazy East Coast Uncle, at 9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home