Exact Approximations

Friday, April 21, 2006

Birthday Wishes and A Child's Insight

Last night, Daughter proclaimed (in the face of her upcoming birthday) that "1/3 of my life is over."
Lex: "Well, you're nine. 9 x 3 = 27. So your life will be over when you turn 27?"
Daughter: "Yeah."
Lex: "Sweetheart, I turn 27 tomorrow."
Daughter: Embarassed. "I was kidding."

It would have been better if she had actually been kidding. Rather, she felt bad for accidently saying something hurtful. No big deal. 27 seems far, far away to a 9 year old.

So yeah, today, I am 27. Wow. Crazy.

For my birthday, I want two things:
1) Grandpa. He is having a pretty intense surgery today, I want it to go well.
2) Verdict. We hand the jury our case today, I want our clients to win.

4 Comments:

  • Happy birthday, Lex! You share a birthday with girlfriend. She's mad that I'm not in Chicago visiting for her birthday. Stupid me being a token in an organization having a CLE this weekend.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 12:01 PM  

  • Happy Bday Lex. Hope your Bday wishes come true.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:12 PM  

  • Happy Birthday!

    My mother in law has a habit of saying something outrageous or inappropriate and then retracting it with "I was only joking." Even when it's clear that she was not. She does it with such blatant bravado, you can't help but be impressed. :)

    By Blogger -Ann, at 2:06 PM  

  • Well, I know half of it turned out ok, now im just waiting on the other half, im biting my nails right now. Happy Birthday Love.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home