Exact Approximations

Monday, April 17, 2006

Resurrection of Logic.

Last night I came clean to Daughter about the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus. Daughter said she "Already knew, was about 2/3 sure." So anyhow, my grand lesson of the holiday mascots was achieved. When Daughter was born, I considered forgoing the Easter Bunny and Santa, thinking it was a bad idea to lie to your child from the get-go. But then it occurred to me that it could, down the road, be a good lesson in teaching her to question things.

Last night, after I spilled the beans, bragged about how slick I was by getting different kinds of special Santa wrapping paper and ribbons - I instilled wisdom upon Daughter.
Lex: "See Daughter, here is the point, people are always going to be trying to get you to believe things they can't prove to you."
Daughter: "Uh-huh."
Lex: "So when people want you to just believe things, remember all this Easter Bunny and Santa Claus nonsense. Ask yourself if what you're being told makes sense."
Daughter: "Yeah."
Lex: "Next time you're at a slumber party, and friends are telling you stories about Bloody Mary and demons...."
Daughter: "Proof."
Lex: "And monsters and ghosts..."
Daughter: "Proof."
Lex: Smiles. "Smart girl."
Daughter: "Like God and stuff."
Lex: "Yeah."
Daughter: "Proof."
Lex: Oh yeah. Score one for mommy.
I was proud that my long-term lesson panned out so nicely. But I couldn't resist one last opportunity to screw with the mind of my innocent youth.

Lex: "But the Tooth Fairy... I can't help you there. I don't even know how that works. Although, my dad told me the Tooth Fairy is really a guy."
Daughter: "Really?"

I guess some lessons take time to set in all the way.

3 Comments:

  • I fought back feelings of jealousy and feeling left out when you told her, I know you werent deliberately leaving me out, at any rate im glad you told her and it was probably better if I wasnt there to muck it all up.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:46 PM  

  • My bad - if it helps, the tooth fairy, all yours

    =)

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 12:51 PM  

  • I'm late to the party with this, but I saw this on another blog and thought it might help with the daughter. If not, you'll get a really good laugh.

    http://www.drinkatwork.com/2006/04/how-to-expain-easter-bunny-to-kids.html

    By Blogger TEM, at 12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home