Exact Approximations

Sunday, August 14, 2005

House of Sand and Smog

Found myself fascinated with the amazing sundowns here in Arizona. Definitely one of my favorite things about desert life. Pointing out my favorite purples and oranges in the horizon, Daughter's Father smiled, nuzzling his face in my hair. Then he whispered "Chemical Sunset" and kissed my cheek. Only he could make pollution romantic.

On another note, turns out the unbearable, old-people-killing heat that infests this Phoenix Desert takes a small break for a few brief weeks each year. This month, I am learning all about Monsoon Season. Rain the size of golfballs. Horizontal lightening strikes playing connect the dots with Super Wal-Marts and Mormon Temples as far as you can see. With no notice, the entire sky becomes dark gray, winds pick up to tree-ripping speeds and then BLAM! Insanity. Storms like I have never seen, not even in my Missourri days! Everything goes haywire for about half an hour and then it is gone, like it never came at all save in my imagination. Kinda neat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home