Exact Approximations

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Fori v. U-Haul Corp., 1 Master Mother Fucker Situation 1 (2005).

Apologies for my language. Nevermind, I totally mean it.

Arrived in Arizona this past Sunday, way behind schedule.

Went through madness with U-Haul, where I reserved an auto-transport to tow my 1986 Ford F-150 and a big moving van to tow my big auto-transport. Going to pick up them up, I was told only the moving truck was available and I would have to return later for the auto-transport. When I called that afternoon, I was told there was no auto-transport, nor a record of my reservation. After a great deal of pride exchange with the bitter U-Haul employee, I finally got them to 'bend' (their words) and get one for pick-up the next morning... if I showed up at 10:00am on the spot. I agreed, and showed up at U-Haul the next morning, where I spent the next two hours watching the U-Haul people fix the damn auto-transport to make it work properly with the moving truck. Then, I went back to my apartment, watched My Understudy finish packing up and went to put my Ford on the auto-transport and begin my 1,000 mile journey to Phoenix.

The truck wouldn't fit the auto-transport. U-Haul had said it would. I went back to U-Haul, where they thought they might find a way to get the truck on the transport for me. No-Go. So we had to cancel the auto-transport and drive my 1986 Ford-Piecer all the way to Arizona.

The U-Haul broke down twice. First time in Los Banos, California - crappy desert town - nothing spectacular. I called the U-Haul repair line and was 28th in line to talk to a real person. We opted to deal without their insight. During the final leg of the trip, into Arizona desert, the air conditioner broke down. My Ford broke down twice as well; never did make it to Arizona. It was ultimately towed to my brother's house in California's Mojave Desert. I am hopeful it can be fixed.

Not all loss. I did make it, which I was starting to wonder about. Threw a bit of a fit at U-Haul. They apologized profusely, really got into it. They comped the four extra days I kept the truck and gave me coupons for my next rental. That will happen soon since I have no house just yet and my things live i na storage shed. Currently, I'm at a Holiday Inn, with shoddy wireless internet and a nice shower. Works for me.




2 Comments:

  • Holy crap! Glad you made it. That's terrible customer service and everything. Geez. Good luck in the continuing move!

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 6:53 AM  

  • I was a little surprised at your language at the beginning, but by the end of the post I was cursing the u-Haul people too. What a frustrating situation! I, too, used the Auto Transport that uHaul offered, and it was a nightmare as well. Not as bad as yours though...

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home