Exact Approximations

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Opening Offers and Ballpark Ranges

An interview I had today went really well. The attorney told me he wanted to hire me an hour into the interview, then spent the next 2 yakkin about his upcoming trial. Finally, he had to leave to go do a deposition. This was a bit of a relief because I hadn't eaten and was starving.

As we wrapped it up, he asked what my salary range was. I was at a loss. Don't get me wrong, I know what I would like to make. I know what I would demand to make if this were icky defense work. I know what I thought I would make when I started law school. But the high-minded idealistic world where a law graduate gets to make good money helping the little guy fight back against the man are over. I know the deal. It's hard to do plaintiff side work. The firms that are good at it want stellar creds and a few years experience. The other ones photocopy flyers they had made three years ago and stuff them in local mailboxes. You get the point.

I don't really know what I should legitimately make given the region and the type of law (contingency work). I don't want to high-ball and insult him, but also don't want to low-ball and hand him an Associate Salary Disount Coupon. Hmmm....


Calling a conclave on this one -- any and all input welcome.

1 Comments:

  • When asked in job interviews and paper applications what my "desired salary" was, I always fantasized about suggesting a million zillion dollars per hour.

    Alas, I never had the cojones.

    You should ask for a base of 90k, maybe 100-110k if you feel particularly gutsy. Let him say no.

    By Blogger wt, at 11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home