Exact Approximations

Friday, June 24, 2005

Uncodified Codes at Boalt Hall?

Ok. It has been over a month and a half since the ceremony.
Sure, I can't be positive I passed IP.
Fine, the paper isn't completely finished.
I know, other one either.

I missed all my deadlines. Then extended deadlines had to be pushed back. Finally, after two encores of the absolute and final last deadline, it occurred to me I might not pull this whole graduation thing off. It was early in the morning and I had computer head. One hour from a deadline with 'drop dead' in its name. Seriously. I closed my eyes and emailed the Professors my incomplete works, thanking them for their patience, recognizing I had missed my shot, and asking where to go from there.

I've been told to push ahead and work till finish. For some reason, the powers that be at Boalt Hall insist upon my graduation. Don't get me wrong, there is the whole sick thing, and it kicked my ass ten kinds of ways. But I've been sick for awhile now. Two months and my sad disastrophe has never been questioned, no one at Boalt so much as asking for a doctor's note.

Frankly, I was expecting to hear "Enough is enough" by now.

Nope. I'm thinking there must be some uncodified portions of the Boalt Hall Honor & Academic Codes. Professors are supposed to keep exams fair and blah blah blah - but there must be an exception, prohibiting Profs from failing any 3L if it would cost graduation. And, if something is about to cost a 3L graduation, well, that's just unacceptable, and deadlines will be extended some more. I wonder how long this can go on, it just doesn't seem right. Being a law student still totally sucks. I'm grateful for the ninth chance, but man o man, being a law student still totally sucks.

1 Comments:

  • I love Boalt Hall.

    You can finish. I swear. Let me say it again. You can finish.

    Getting a P takes time, and some effort, but not impressive work.

    Making the page minimum is the goal, not having a groundbreaking law review theory.

    Not that you couldn't come up with those theories if you were well, and had time. But circumstances seem to demand that you put in at least, although not much more than, the bare minimum.

    No one has a right to judge you for doing anything else.

    best of luck.

    By Blogger wt, at 1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home