Exact Approximations

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Unsent Letters from the Catharsis Collection: Annoying Grocery Store Lady

"Dear Annoying Grocery Store Lady,

I am writing to inform that your behavior in the check-out line was unacceptable, even by my resiliently low-standards. I would have pointed out your exploitation of sexual harassment policies then, but you were bigger than me and already pissed off. Plus, you were buying 3 bottles of hard alcohol, two Lunchables and one Us Weekly. At 1:30am on a Tuesday morning, that says something to me. Survival instinct kicked in and restrained my inhibition disorder.

You know damn well it was not the cashier that caused your cards to be declined. He also didn't draft and implement the check acceptance policy. I don't usually comment on other people's baseless drama, I just silently watch their self-planned tragedies unfold. I've seen things lady, you have no idea.


But you stand out. To even imply your situation was the result of your failure to reciprocate the checker's "obvious" advances?... Give me a break!... your DD's were spilling out of your extremely low-cut, extremely-hot, extremely-ruffly red shirt! True, I don't know for certain whether he was staring at your girls, but that is only because I was too preoccupied staring at them myself. I mean, look at the way the ruffles gather together at your cleavage! Beautiful. The manager entertained your nonsense, ignoring your cursing while he ran your cards three times. And after all that, you wanted to file a sexual harassment complaint against the poor checker?!? Seriously? Wow.

Don't get me wrong, I play the Feminist Victomology card just as much as the next girl. But limits exist and you were out of hand. Your appearance, attitude and words were rank with insincerity.

You might want to work on that.

Thank you and best of luck in your future endeavors.


Lex Fori

2 Comments:

  • Back several years when I was still working at pizza places, the dough guy tried to get my fired for sexual harassment (of the waitresses) because I was moving his dough around (trying to make the place more efficient). I was ruining his system that he'd been using for longer than I'd been alive so he got upset.

    not that this compares but it's still people being stupid and using sexual harassment...I should stop talking now...

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 6:53 AM  

  • Word.

    On the people being stupid part, not the stop talking thing. I think it's perfectly legitimate for people to point this out more often. I think lots of people who have experiences like this tend to be skeptical as a default when they hear about harassment claims.

    I also suppose that when people silently stand by (as I admittedly did), the idea that the bar for harassment is somewhere between too low and non-existent is validated further. The manager and cashier may have wondered why I didn't speak up, my failure to do so could be interpreted as tacitly accepting that there may have been legitimacy to this woman's claims.

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home