Exact Approximations

Friday, August 24, 2007

Lamest Diet in the Land.

Upon the advice of my grandmother (GRM), Loony Tunes Aunt and affiliated friends of the aforementioned - I have gone on a "gluten-free" diet. Doesn't that totally sound like something for obese elderly people? Anyhow, this consists of switching to soy and rice milk, and other milk-products have been replaced with soy alternatives. Plus I bought lame special cereal that tastes kinda mushy. I guess it's not that bad. And I actually really like soy and rice milk.

Biggest problem with this diet is that it is in conjunction with my 20-years of vegetarianism. I'm basically left eating soy, fruits and vegetables. Everyone says I should start eating some meat again. GRM told me to get over myself.

Here's the thing - I have no problem with the whole "killing animals for human needs" thing. I rock leather Maddens all the time, we beat the cows (and hence the right to eat them), and if there were a medication that would potentially cure my disease - I would hold the monkey down and drip shit in his eye myself. Of course, when I embarked on vegetarianism when I was 8, it was for all those idealistic reasons. But I evolved from that. Nowadays, I don't eat the meat cause it grosses me out. It's like the people on Fear Factor eating the bugs - they can't do it because it's so nasty to them. That's how I feel about all meat. Hate the texture, the look... ucko for days.

So, what to do, what to do. I've been doing the gluten free + vegetarian for about a week with no improvement. I've felt worse in the past few days than I have in weeks. But that could just be a down period. I have those. Good days and bad. So, even though I've been following the diet when I eat, I haven't really been able to eat much (of anything). I'm pretty much convinced this new diet won't work, but I'll catch hell from my grandmother if I don't try it. I think I need the surgery, "skinning" the inner lining of my abdominal wall and cutting off some nerves, to really help. I've been researching the procedure and it does sound like a better option than the hysterectomy (which, I'm told, only gives me a 50% shot at seeing any improvement.) The new operation has a better success rate, although it is a scarier and more complicated procedure.

*sigh* This is all taking SOOOooooo... long. I have an appointment with the new surgeon next week.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • Obviously if killing or hurting an animal will help you then go for it. So, maybe you should try meat and see what it does. Don't start with a rare steak, try a burger or something -- pretend it is soy:) I have a friend that had health problems and eating meat really helped her out.

    However, I am vegetarian partly because of your 8 year old idealism. So don't overlook the effect that eating meat has on the planet and how abused industrial livestock is.

    You should read Omnivore's Dilemma if you want a good (but slanted) take on it.

    Ryan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:37 PM  

  • Ok you total butthead.. Not necessarily red meat. Fish will do. Chicken will do. You don't have to eat a cow to make this diet work but you need protein other than soy, cheese and milk. Try it you'll like it.. lol
    Loony Tunes Aunt

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:02 AM  

  • Looney Tunes Aunt gets my vote! Besides non-red meat, you can also try legumes, nuts, seeds, and yes, eggs! Sounds like you need your protein, and your stubbornness from when you were 8 years old, needs to be re-prioritized! Your health comes first!

    I hate to say this, but...what if all of your health problems over the past couple of years stems from your veggy diet? Our bodies need protein and you are no different from the rest of us!

    I would suggest if you do decide to start eating meat in some form again, that you stay with the organic meats. More expensive, but, you know you are not getting all of the wild hormones and chemicals that they put in the food supply now-a-days.

    I know I represent the male side of the family, but, I am in agreement with GRM and Looney Tunes Aunt. Or, is it that we are all part of the older generations? :) Lawled!

    By Blogger Crazy East Coast Uncle, at 6:58 PM  

  • LTA - Yeah, I think I'll start with fish. But, right now, I haven't been eating anything over the past few days - so I'm gonna wait until *anything* is edible again.

    CECU - it's an interesting thought that the diet has caused my problems... I've considered this before too. Also something Loony Tunes Aunt and GRM were considering. I'm gonna try it, but I still really think my problems have to do with my hormones and bunk body parts. Also, I heard nuts were filled with all kindsa gluten?, which sucks because I used to munch nuts for days (laugh now).

    Ryan - it's SO good to hear from you. Glad to know you're still lurking. I wonder how your family (including the dog) is doing. All the time I wonder.

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home