Exact Approximations

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Bad Law

It's always the worst when a senior attorney gives you a research project on a key issue and you learn that the law is not in your favor. This happened to me once during my 2L summer job and the partner proceeded to call me into his office and argue with me about why the law should be different. I agreed with him, but pointed out that our conversation did not change the law. He didn't like that. We never got along very well.

The same thing happened to me today. The Boss handed me a research project and told me it was an ASAP issue. It impacted the amount of recovery for one of our clients in a big, big way. I dug in. Printed case after case. Fell into a highlighting frenzy. I wrote up a memo outlining all the ways in which the law worked against us, and took it to The Boss. He was on the phone, so I put it in his InBox. He gave me a dirty look and held out his hand, as though to say "Give it to me now." I handed it to him and walked out quickly. Sitting at my desk, I remembered that 2L summer and thought 'oh shit, he's going to bitch at me because he doesn't like what I found. I hate when this happens.'

15 minutes later he walks into my office:
The Boss: Laughing. "So you're basically telling me we're screwed, huh?"
Lex: "Yup, that's the long and short of it. Sorry."
The Boss: "Republican assholes."
Lex: Laughing. "By the way, thanks for the flowers."

It was such an unexpected response but it was totally awesome. As for the flowers, I walked into work Tuesday after having been absent since the previous Wednesday and there's this huge vase full of flowers. There was a card signed by everyone in the firm congratulating me on passing the bar. The Boss wrote "It's the smartest people who worry the most." I like The Boss. He's a good boss. Today.

10 Comments:

  • Which research system do you use?

    I like your boss.

    It sounds like things are going better now. Health, work, etc. I hope it's so.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 4:52 PM  

  • I'm a WestLaw girl. All the way.

    Although, The Boss is turning me on to the usefulness of practice guides and other paper-formated research systems. They are helpful.

    Things are somewhat looking up. Passing the bar was huge for me. Health is feeling somewhat better, but that's not to say it's actually getting better. I've been getting spinal blocks which have something to do with nerves, and those seem to be decreasing the pain. But only in conjunction with heavy, heavy doses of daily narcotics. Surgery is a week from tomorrow so I am cautiously optimistic that the health thing is about to get a whole lot better.

    I like The Boss too. Usually. He's been pretty patient with me.

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 5:18 PM  

  • Just a suggest...when the surgery is over, and you are back at work, full time, you might want to get the boss a bouquet, to thank him for his patience.

    Sounds to me like you should also secretly enter him for "Boss of the Year" award!

    By Blogger Crazy East Coast Uncle, at 7:09 AM  

  • CECU,

    I actually thought about that - getting the flowers. Do you think it is at all inappropriate to get your boss flowers though? I was thinking maybe a Thank You card or something... He really is a very good boss, although I reserve the right to ditch that thought and talk a ton of smack if he cans me.

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 9:00 AM  

  • Flowers might be a bit much, just because of the "boss" factor. A thank you card would be much more appropiate.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:10 AM  

  • A card is nice, but, he has gone above and beyond what a boss should have dealt with, being patient with you. If flowers might expose you in the office as a kissup, so be it. A little ass kissing in your situation, would not be brown nosing, but an appropriate gesture of pure gratitude!

    You have now passed the bar, and your boss made that possibility happen, by giving you time off, dealing with your health, and paying some of the expense for you to pass the bar. Has he done that for others, and if so, how did they thank him?

    Personally, I think you have a great boss! If you get canned by him, it will most likely be of your own doing, and in that case, you can't reserve the right to bitch about it!

    By Blogger Crazy East Coast Uncle, at 9:54 AM  

  • I think I'm falling on the side of Nony and thinking the card is the better route, if not just a really nice email. He has gone above and beyond, but one also must look at that in light of the fact that The Boss is getting a smoking deal on me in terms of salary. A super-smoking deal. I could make 150% what I make at other firms, so I take that into consideration when trying to determine why The Boss has been so patient. And just to clarify, he paid for ALL of my bar expenses, not just *some* of them, and he threw in a $2,500 moving stipend. That was super-awesome.

    As for ass-kissing, I don't think The Boss likes it. He would be far more satisfied if I showed my thankfulness by working my ass off, coming in Sundays since I am damned non-church goed, and staying late during the week. I think what he is expecting is to see me work off my gratitude.

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 10:04 AM  

  • Westlaw: good girl. 'Nuff said by me. ;)

    A card is good. No flowers for the boss.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 2:17 PM  

  • So, what would the card say...

    "You would have gotten flowers, but, since you are getting a smoking deal on my salary, a card will do. Thanks for all the help! Looking forward to doing OT to show my gratitude!"

    Sounds kind of cheap to me, but, then again, maybe I am just old fashioned!

    You better hope Boss never reads this blog. And if he does, I am sure he will say you have a smoking uncle!

    You still never fessed up if you outed the Bush lover or not!

    By Blogger Crazy East Coast Uncle, at 7:12 PM  

  • Nope, never outed the Bush-Lover. I currently like her, she has offered to pray for me during my surgery after all. Anyhow, it's information saved up in my artilery in case she ever turns on me. Until then, her dirty little secret is safe with me.

    Oh man, it would be big time awful if The Boss found the blog. I'd probably get fired over it. People are forever getting fired over their blogs. Whatever though, it's my last bastion of creativity.

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home