Exact Approximations

Sunday, February 12, 2006

Prospective Failure

t-minus 9 days until the bar exam. I am convinced I will fail.

Although I have spent a good 6+ hours per day "studying," my thoughts are elsewhere. I am still reeling with sadness and disappointment following the breakdown of the household. I am meeting with some Catholic Service Agency next week to try to get rent-assistance... otherwise, looks like I will be facing eviction. I figure the Catholic Church owes me for the remaining groundless guilt I often feel. It's not easy being a Recovering Catholic.

Daughter and Nephew are both sick. My pre-surgery pains continue. I threw up the other day, a bunch of lettuce that I had eaten 12+ hours prior. That seemed strange, especially since I had eaten other things since then. During the midst of a PMBR Crim-Law practice test on Friday, I got a phone call from ex-husband's "lawyer" - a California practitioner of wills and trusts who failed the bar three times. He offered advice on how to pass the exam, which I quickly disregarded as likely not coming from the best of sources.

Try as I might, I just cannot get down the basics of property and contract law. The Rule Against Perpetuities should be abolished, for a failure to make a lick of sense. I get Torts, ConLaw, Wills & Trusts, Community Property, Crim Law & Procedure and am guessing that state-based CivPro will stick upon review, particularly being as much of my work at MedMal Firm, Inc has involved reviewing these rules. In better news, The Boss, unbeknownst to The Boss, is paying for my hotel, parking and food - at a super-nice hotel within a 2 minute walk to the exam. Mad props to Paralegal and Office Manager for making that call on my behalf.

Ok - back to the books.

4 Comments:

  • Perpetuities: if a thing does not vest in 21 years, it's void. Isn't that a brief summation of the rule? I'm not about to go all Cardozo on your ass and use a bajillion prounouns. Though Cardozo was a genius, he sure was dumb in trying to have other people understand him.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 1:20 PM  

  • 21 years + lives in being at the time the will is drawn up. So if I drew up a will right now, I couldn't depend on using the lives of my now non-existent child to count as part of the rule.

    The Rule Against Perpetuities was like my special secret power back in the day. I think the secret to property law is that you can't try to make it make sense. On the face of it, there's nothing logical about it. They're these odd little rules that are designed to ensure certain outcomes and are usually balanced to try to keep property from being too heavily tied up from beyond the grave.

    It's a just go-with-it sort of thing. Memorize what you need to and try not to let logic get in the way of it. (I think that's why I did so well with it - I was never very good at or bothered about logic.)

    Good luck on the test - I'm sure you'll do better than you expect.

    By Blogger -Ann, at 1:56 PM  

  • Isn't it all about public policy? Trying to make sure things are alienable and more valuable?

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 7:22 AM  

  • A wise man I know once said, "Everything will be ok."
    Don't worry.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home