Exact Approximations

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Getting Myself Into Trouble

I have a meeting with a Catholic Social Services Agency today at 5:30 to try to get a handout for my dire financial situation following the break down of the house. I have no qualms feigning belief, offering up prayers I memorized when I was 5 or even going to confession. In fact, that last one might be fun and provide great material for my blog.

On another note, Boyfriend and I were lying in bed last night, talking about the ethics and privacy concerns inherent to blogging. Where the boundaries lay. Boyfriend is incredibly understanding and patient in accepting my willingness to post just about anything. My situation is a bit strange, as this blog is not completely anonymous. (Well, maybe not strange, that's probably how it is with most of us). Many of my readers are friends and family, and know exactly who and what I'm talking about - or how to associate Lex Fori with my picture in the Boalt Hall Face Book.

Anyhow - I am most certainly permitted to note that Boyfriend is hands down, 100%, by a super-far long way -- the best lover I have ever had. My experiences with Gloworms, Bathtubs and Cabbage Patch Dolls are also fair game. Obviously, I make a point to stop short of disclosing what I consider to be other people's private concerns. There are things about my family I would never get into, although if you're dead - you're fair game. Just so my peeps know. No worries to GRM, Loony Toons Aunt, Step-Father, My Banker, Uncle Reptile or Mom. I watch what I say when it comes to your lives, and will continue to do so. Until you pass away. Then, you better make damn sure you treated me well in your will. Although I guess, as a disclaimer, my ideas of what constitutes private might be a little off. On another note, none of the previous sentences apply to you CECU, you're fair game - dead or alive ;)

So during the conversation, I randomly said sorry to Boyfriend for making him feel uncommfortable in Lex Land. He promptly admonished me for offering an unecessary apology. He had just finished telling me how much he respects my creative authority and I had immediately felt a sense of guilt:
Boyfriend: "You don't need to apologize, you didn't do anything wrong."
Lex: "It's my Catholic Guilt."
Boyfriend: "Come on, how long are you going to play the Recovering Catholic card?"
Lex: "Hey, it's a strong one. Damn near as good as the Race card."

Boyfriend: Knowing I would be the first to call that total bullshit. "Really?!?" Large, suprised eyes. "And where are you going to get reparations? From God?" Laugh. "Who don't even believe in?"
Lex: "No, from the Catholic Church, tomorrow at 5:30." Smile. "Can I blog that you're awesome in bed?"
Boyfriend: "Totally."

7 Comments:

  • This post definitely hits home for me, at least the second part of it.

    IrishTenor actually knows nothing about my blog or even that it exists, despite the fact that it's been around longer than he has.

    Sometimes I wonder whether I ought to tell him it exists; other times I think it's fine not to bother since I am not actively hiding it, and I'm really pretty careful about protecting his privacy when I write about him.

    Lex, did you tell Boyfriend right away? Or did it just come up?

    By Blogger SouthernCanadian, at 12:40 PM  

  • Well, I started blogging when I lived in Berkeley - before Boyfriend was "technically" Boyfriend. I never hid it from him, but I don't remember telling him "By the way, I have a blog, here's the link, check me out, I'm a total attention whore" until we moved in together (July '05.) I sent out a mass email to my family, basically begging them to read. I've gotten a few phone calls from family after they read something I've been up to - and that's kinda neat.

    I like that Boyfriend knows about it - because it often gives him a heads up as to where my head is at on any given day. Plus, when he reads something nice that I write about him, it makes him feel pretty good and I get big hugs. Sometimes I get the occasional really sweet comment that he posts too.

    He's basically the perfect boyfriend, so I can't imagine that I would want/need the anonymity to vent about him. If that's something you foresee, I would advise keeping it to yourself...

    I did make a point never to tell Ex-Husband about my blog, even though we are on really friendly terms. Mostly, because I know that he is totally the type that would read regularly and that would be kinda weird.

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 2:52 PM  

  • Thanks for your perspective. I definitely don't vent about IrishTenor on the blog. What would concern me more is embarrassing him with funny stories and quotes in which he was involved. Since we are both typically more private people when you meet us in real life, I'm pretty careful about how often he shows up and in what context. I think I do a pretty good job of being fair to him, but I sometimes wonder whether I ought to tell him I have the blog or mention it in passing, since he is a recurring "character." I don't think he would read it, but for me it would be more about giving him the opportunity to know that A, B, and C have been posted about him and for him to say, "Don't post that."

    By Blogger SouthernCanadian, at 3:38 PM  

  • As for whether he would read it - you might be suprised. I have discovered that certain people I know keep up fairly regularly and it suprised the hell out of me.

    If you two are generally pretty private, it may give him a good insight into your mind when your "boyfriend filter" isn't on - we all have different angles that we approach people given our specific relationship with that person and it might be a really great way for him to get to know another part of you. I can't tell you how many great conversations Boyfriend and I have had after he read something here.

    I think you should tell him. But that's mostly because I'm selfish and I want you to post about it afterward and do a tell-all about how it went down...

    =)

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 3:44 PM  

  • Well, lex youve done it again, ego effectively stroked.;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:21 PM  

  • It's funny you say "stroked" when you look at the actual topic of the post and not the comments.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 4:25 PM  

  • Ah HA! I see you post about me when I am on BLOG vacation. You really should have waited!

    I have until Sunday evening before I come back full force!

    By Blogger Crazy East Coast Uncle, at 7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home