Exact Approximations

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Dear Howard Hughes, Can I Do Your Laundry?

You May Be a Bit Obsessive-Compulsive



Meticulous and detailed oriented, you have some irrational obsessions.
Maybe it's your super neat closet or washing your hands a gazillion times.
You probably know it's weird, but you just can't stop thinking about it.
In fact, the more you think about your quirks, the more you have to do them.

Scary thing about this is that is absolutely, positively true. I am a bit OCD. I've been told this. I tell other people this. When I was a child, I remember going out of my way to make sure I chewed my food equally on both sides of my mouth. I would count bites, switching every five times. I also used to make sure each foot would step on sidewalk squares an equal number of times. And if my foot landed on the line, I had to make sure that, the next time I stepped on a line, it would be with the other foot. In fairness, I never cared which side of my mother's back I was about to break.

These days, I've come to terms with my OCD. I've given myself outlets for it, to manage my insanity. Mostly, this gets released in my laundry. I won't let other people do my laundry, and things have to be folded 'just so.' People just don't understand the importance of hanging pants seam to seam or making sure the collar of a shirt is perfectly centered when doing the triple-fold Gap technique. I've been known to go into stores and refold clothing on display. Sometimes, I try to let it go, and not think about the bad folding job... but it gets stuck in my head and I can't let go of it. I usually end up going back to it.

Hm. I really am just like that Mark Summers guy from Double-Dare who went all nutty-clean-freak. I read somewhere that he used to go home and spend hours striaghtening the tassles on an area rug in his house. Well, maybe I saw that on a VH1 special. But I'll stick with the having read it somewhere story, that just sounds better.

2 Comments:

  • Lex "Monk" Fori, yes, definitely OCD! Wow, Med Mal...I want to share doctor stories with you later...That crazy east coast uncle...CALL ME! I don't have your new # :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:56 PM  

  • Hey, I used to have some traces of OCD...probably still do but I've just learned to fool myself better... =D

    I distinctly remember always tying my shoelaces a certain way so that the two ears of the laces would lay perfectly aligned, one of each side of the shoe. I also am a bit manic with my laundry, but I'm not sure if that's OCD or just because I'd had to grow up with a mother who would either shrink what few clothes I had or accidentally wash things (i.e. lipstick which would melt all over EVERYTHING and NOT come out).

    By Blogger hufflepuffer, at 1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home