Exact Approximations

Monday, September 19, 2005

Getting Publicly Indecent for Good Cause.

I went to the DMV Saturday morning with Daughter's Father, who has been officially elevated to Boyfriend... So I'm driving to the DMV with Boyfriend and we arrive to a line twisted around the building like people waiting for Star Wars tickets. Mental note - no more Saturday DMV attempts. Freaked out, we left immediately, turned around, and headed home.

On the way back, we saw Eagle Scouts standing in front of a Mormon Church, waving a sign asking for denim jean donations. We pulled over and inquired whether this was for hurricane victims. Eagle Scout said no, informing us the clothing drive was for locals. Apparently, superiors at Eagle Scout Central issued a directive focusing benevolent efforts on a 25 mile radius surrounding Phoenix Suberbia (a.k.a. Mormonville). I thought that was a very nice thing for them to do, even if I didn't believe for a second that poverty-stricken people in a 100+ degree desert need jeans more than homeless flooded-out folk.


Nevertheless, I thought it a good cause and, more importantly, a rare opportunity for cheap self-entertainment. I decided to donate. I pulled down my jeans and handed them to boyfriend, who passed them on to Eagle Scout. Eagle Scout took them, looking embarrassed but laughing. He was probably about 15, and Boyfriend and I were hoping to provide some memorable storytelling that would help carry the kid for awhile. Poor thing probably not even allowed to see rated-R movies. As we drove away, we saw him running to fellow Eagle Scouts, holding my jeans. They all looked our direction and huddled together to discuss it. Boyfriend and I laughed for a good ten minutes straight, then headed home to put on pants, pack up, pick up Daughter and head to Flagstaff for the weekend.

Good times. Good times.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home