Exact Approximations

Friday, September 09, 2005

After All, Tomorrow is Another Day

Well, I'm not psychic, but I was right. Yesterday su-ucked. I want to be psychic, but I think I made a deal with God before birth. As best I can estimate, I traded off all of my life's intuition, luck and physical balance for the quality of persistence. It might sound like a bad deal, but persistence is a baseline requirement for those wanting to come up out of a life like mine. I don't think I'm an extremely intelligent person or that things have fallen into my lap. But I am the type to relentlessly pursue things I want, no matter how far-fetched they seem. I'm like a dog that gets beaten by its owner all the time and continues to believe it can all work out. Only for me, it usually does eventually. Those poor dogs just spend their lives wincing and hoping to get their head patted.

Not that I believe in God or anything. I have this whole theory about how religion is really just a manifestation of human vanity and our desire to be part of everything, always. That and the fact that religion acts as a free pass for society to tolerate the mistreatment of others, because the meek will get theirs in Heaven. Religion is impeding the evolution towards a just society, and convincing people that there is no need to be Alive now, because all the good living happens after death. I could go on and on, but there's not time to wax philosophic right now. I'll save that one for a dedicated post.

Anyhow - yesterday. I busted ass all day trying to write this comprehensive settlement document for a case I know very little about. Towards the end of the day, The Boss comes by my office door to say goodnight. This confused me, and I asked if he wanted to review what I had. He said it was fine for then, and asked me to switch gears and start on another portion of the project. A thankless job. I grinned and said "No problem."

On another note, I have officially been bitched out by East Coast Uncle for not responding to comments. Now that I have been put on notice, I will do my best to be more engaged with readers' responses, because I really do get all super-stoked when people comment, and I would hate to lose that. East Coast Uncle was telling me about some fancy new cancer treatment last night, the name of which I really can't remember... Something about a conspiracy, the asshole Bush administration, the retarded FDA and the evil drug companies. I'm skeptical, but it sounds like it might be interesting to read up on. If East Coast Uncle could post the name of that drug in the comments, I would be fantastically appreciative. I wanted to look it up sometime today while I'm on the clock.

1 Comments:

  • http://www.halexandria.org/dward467.htm

    Now I may be known as "crazy" east coast uncle, but, this is something to look into. Lex, enjoy!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home