Exact Approximations

Monday, October 10, 2005

If you ask me nicely....

As I was leaving work on Friday, I noticed an older attorney from Big Law, the firm across the hall, getting on the elevator with me. He was friendly - but we had an odd exchange:
Him: "Do you work for me?"
Me: "Uh, where? There at Big Law? No, I work across the way, at Good Guys.
Him: "Oh." Laughing. "I can never tell who all is working at our office."
Me: Laughing harder but seriously wondering what they would pay. "You should get on that. It's probably a good idea to know the people who work for you. Happy employees and productivity and what not."
Him: "Yeah." Looking slightly embarassed. "You're right. Have a good day."
Me: "You too."

Cheese and rice. I wonder if he even knows one of his secretary's got arrested at work recently.

4 Comments:

  • Good post Lex but I have a little complaint:
    Your font is so small that I need to look closer to the monitor. that or changing the font size on the Browser Options.

    Closer is not exact but is an "aproximation"

    Best Regards!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:08 AM  

  • and I mean "Approximation"

    LOL

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:09 AM  

  • Probably not. Wow. I can't imagine A.) having so many people working for me that I didn't know who they all were - at least by sight and B.) actually saying out loud "do you work for me?"

    Might as well go the whole hog and say something like "Do you work for me? All these associates look alike - haggard, ghostly types. I just can't tell 'em apart at all."

    By Blogger -Ann, at 2:06 PM  

  • Luke - thanks for helping on that link, I take no issue linking to non-english sites. I can't understand a word of it... but whatever facilitates the appearance of being cultured. One of these days I will have side-links to all of my favorite commentators - I just need to sit down with it for a few minutes.

    Ann -- I absolutely agree with you. The fact that he even asked me this almost makes this story reek of exageration. But, this time, this is exactly how the exchange went. When I retold the story all weekend, everyone else was surprised that he would say it out loud as well...

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 3:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home