Exact Approximations

Wednesday, October 05, 2005

I Opened with a Protonix Demand. The Fuckers Countered with Maalox.

I just got back from a mediation. I have been to two mediations in the past: once with my 2L summer firm with clients in a high-damages breach of employment contract case. The second time was as a mediator's "assistant," which was my boss' fancy way of saying "student who wants to see how this whole mediation thing works." Sitting with the mediator was possibly the most enlightening experience of my entire law school career.

Today, however, was the first time I went to a mediation for a case I had more than a passing familiarity with. I have worked on this case since I started here and it's the case I feel closest to. I can't get into details because there are super-strict confidentiality issues.

What I will say is this. The mediation was held at the office of opposing counsel, who provided a very lovely lunch. That lovely lunch made me sick and I've had to run to the bathroom every 15 minutes ever since.

Admittedly one of the best negotiation tactics I've ever seen.

4 Comments:

  • I wasn't drinking anything and I still had milk come out my nose at your final comment.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 4:50 PM  

  • What is protonix demand? I didn't knw we could demand protons.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 6:59 AM  

  • I see you type as quickly as you talk! Figuring you typed all of that within a 15 minute span is impressive! Now I know how to keep my posts short! :)

    By Blogger Crazy East Coast Uncle, at 8:04 AM  

  • You can totally demand protons. And oftentimes you'll get some. But those fuckers are super chincy with their precious electrons

    =)

    Protonix is a proton pump inhibitor - a newer prescription drug that helps block the production of stomach acids. It's often given to people with ulcers and GERD. My understanding is that protonix is really good stuff. Boyfriend has been taking it for awhile now and it seems to help. Maalox is what they give people on Medicare.

    By Blogger Lex Fori, at 8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home