Exact Approximations

Friday, March 11, 2005

MPRE Alert: the Ethics of Procrastination and Fishing

Studying for tomorrow's MPRE, I came across a blurb about how procrastination is one of the most annoying habits in the legal profession. I may have known that sooner had I started studying for the MPRE prior to this past week. In my own defense, law school has always rewarded my procrastination. Anyhow, the exam is less than 24 hours away and I should probably take the day to do a few practice tests. I meant to do that yesterday, and went to the beach armed with my review book, ready to study like gangbusters.

Instead, I ended up debating the ethics of fishing with a man named Rick. Also, we played guitar together. I sang "Dock of the Bay" as he attempted to convince me it's not so bad to stab a fish's mouth. In terms of raw numbers, he argues there's no real threat to the species by virtue of human fish consumption. If my concern was maintaining fish diversity, I should be satisfied. I had no way of knowing whether this was true or not. I seem to remember learning something about depleted fish resources when I was in Junior College and way too interested in the subject of human overpopulation, but I couldn't remember any of that well enough to engage in informed discussion. "There's other fish in the sea" he said, smiling. I couldn't really care frankly. Rick apparently eats the fish he catches, and I'm down with that. I can understand wanting to skip the whole fish processing step. I also have to watch what I say about humans using animal resources, because although I am a vegetarian, I believe in (reasonable) animal research and I fucking love my leather Coach bag. Humans won, cows lost. Fair enough. But still... I watched Rick retrieve a hook from a fish's mouth and (I think) slit the fish's throat... (he slit something). It's was ucko. As I left, he asked when I would be at that beach again. "Eh, probably not so much, it was nice to meet you though." I just wanted to play some guitar. There are other fish in the sea, and they don't go around slitting fish throats.

1 Comments:

  • Hilarious. He may have slit under the gills, because that's what my father does. I went fishing with my dad this summer, and we went about 30 miles off coast, which had me freaking out. Anyway, one thing that we caught would not come up, so we thought it was a rock or something. Suddenly it loosened and came flying up. It was a freaking octopus. My dad goes, ooooooh, octopus!! He grabbed it and stabbed it. I was shrieking like a girl because the tentacles had wrapped completely around his arm. Ugh.

    By Blogger hufflepuffer, at 9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home