Exact Approximations

Sunday, March 13, 2005

It's Your Kid....

I collect magnets; have an abnormal number of them. I'm like those crazy Precious Moments collectors, only my stuff is cheaper. My daughter's friend was looking at them today, and noticed I had a few anti-W magnets. She asked me if I didn't like George Bush, and why. I tried to be diplomatic, seeing as she's 8 years old and not my kid.

"I just disagree with some decisions he has made." Very respectful. I wasn't trying to send the kid back home to her dad with all kinds of my anti-W propaganda. I wanted to, but it didn't seem the prudent course.

"Well, just think, there were guns in Iraq. If George Bush hadn't started the war, they would have shot him. Then the President would be dead, and that would be bad."

Hm. Would it really be so bad? I guess given the next guy in line, it wouldn't be great. Clearly, this child lives in a red house. I wanted to set her straight, but I would be annoyed if this child's parents tried to convince my kid that God and Bush were great, so I restrained myself. Makes me wonder, at what age do I stop looking at kids as the children of their parents and see them as autonomous? Surely it is not at 8 years old, but one would think it would be before 18... I guess the next time she comes over, I better hide my "Stop Using Jesus as an Excuse for Being a Narrow-minded Bigoted Asshole" magnet. Just a thought.

2 Comments:

  • Ha-ha funny post! The curse free TV works with the closed captioning that all TV shows and movies are required to be available as needed. It reads ahead somehow and just mutes the curse word. It does not make a "bleep" sound the word is just never sent through the audio signal. i still haven't got mine hooked up. I guess I’m not techno nerdy enough. Anyway it is called the Guardian see more here http://www.1cursefreetv.com

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:49 PM  

  • "Stop Using Jesus as an Excuse for Being a Narrow-minded Bigoted Asshole"
    I want one of these magnets!

    Couldn't you have told the kid "There are guns here and he's still alive." Sad as that fact may be some days.

    By Blogger Arbusto, at 7:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home