Exact Approximations

Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Welcome to Parenthood, You've Been Served.

Walking my daughter and her friend home from school today, we saw another girl their age playing on the sidewalk. After we passed, my daughter's friend asked why the girl no longer went to their schoool. My daughter informed her that the girl was home-schooled. When her friend asked why, my daughter honestly responded that the girl had problems with bullies. Immediately I turned my head, telling my daughter not to gossip.

"But, Mom, she told me so herself, I'm not starting rumors. And, I told you, and you weren't upset then. So isn't it kind of the same thing? What's the difference?"

Hm. That was true. I pondered this for a moment, uncertain whether there was a difference, and whether this constituted gossiping. Was it my daughter's business to tell anyone else? Was it gossiping when she told me? Was I fostering negative perceptions of home-schooled girl by being so defensive? At a loss, I told her I didn't want to talk about it anymore right then.

"That's because you just got served."

Damn.

I got served.

By an 8 year old.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home