Exact Approximations

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Top Ten Random Sunday Night Thoughts

10. I have a paper due Wednesday... a "Thought Piece." I haven't even decided what I think about that yet. Wait, maybe I think that "Thought Pieces" are cake and I need not think about it again until Tuesday, 8:30p.m.

9. San Francisco recently celebrated the one year anniversary of Gavin Newsom ordering the city to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples. One afternoon last spring, I went to City Hall and watched some ceremonies. Beautiful. There was acceptance, equality, recognition of the importance of it all. You could feel it. Breathe it. That day I realized there can never be equality in domestic partnerships, civil unions, or whatever separate but equal term anyone wants to use. It's a civil rights issue and it needs to be addressed.

8. It's bullshit that I have to pay almost $400 to have the State Bar decide whether my moral character is suitable to lawyering. I mean, come on. If I did something illegal, and got caught - I paid my price, did my time. I still got through college and law school. If I didn't get caught, well, you didn't catch me. I got away with it. You lose; I win. No second chances.*

7. Speaking of meeting moral requirements, I have to take the MPRE in March (some exam I have to pass, but at least this is applying "ethical" rules of lawyering, not judging me in particular, as in #8). Anyhow, the Bar Review course I am paying a grip of money to has yet to send me a book or anything for this... I barely passed my professional responsibility course. I need to call about this stat.

6. Apparently, Ray Charles is the coolest dead guy ever. Consider me schooled.

5. My sister got her lip pierced. She's 18 and on a mission to prove it. I would normally find this kinda neat, but she defended it to her parents as something she just wants to do "while she's young" and "not starting her career" or "getting serious." She basically agreed with them that it was lame but justified it with her youth. I dunno, maybe this was serious insight on her part, but it struck me as a stupid concession in the argument. I thought she should stand by her independence and put the smack down She is not nearly as bullheaded as I was at 18.

4. I am stoked Zach Braff got a Grammy for the Garden State soundtrack. I was disappointed he didn't get an Oscar nod for the screenplay, but at least the music is getting love. Some of the best of the best on the soundtrack: "Let Go" Frou Frou; "Only Living Boy in New York" Simon & Garfunkel; "New Slang" The Shins; "Fair" Remy Zero.

3. Oral sex with pop-rocks is largely overrated.

2.My best Rubik's Cube time is 4 minutes, 32 seconds. I had a good starting set-up though. Mean time is more like 8.


And the number one random thought on a Sunday night...

Desperate Housewives is shamefully awesome!!! Zach is Dana and Mike is his/their dad. Just my prediction.


*This in no way means that I would ever, ever consider withholding such information from any committee of bar examiners. I'll abide by your wack process honestly, with forthright humiliation and fear.

1 Comments:

  • Thanks for tha laugh - number 3 was priceless.

    By Blogger -Ann, at 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home