Exact Approximations

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

The Post-Graduation Employment of a Rubik's Cube Superstar

I finally beat my Rubik's Cube today. I had to resort to detailed online instructions before I came to understand the complexities involved. I can now manipulate the crap out of it and make it look brand-spanking new in under 10 minutes. BooYah. I should have been reading up on the 100+ pages of reading my overzealous professor assigns every week for my Sex-Based Discrimination class, but, I'm a third year law student. So whatever. Besides, the only party trick I currently know is how to make an origami dog. Now I can beat a Rubik's Cube. The only problem I foresee is that cubes don't seem to be laying around like they used to. I remember when I was a kid, every one of my friends had a messed up, incorrectly oriented Rubik's Cube. Usually, these ended up in our toy inventory only after our cokehead 80's parents gave up and tossed them in our rooom. This reduction in the availability of cubes threatens the probabitility that I will ever be able to show off my new party trick, but hope springs eternal.

I got a phone call from a fellow classmate a few days ago. She is super freaked out about not having a job secured for after the summerlong revival of purgatory known as Barbri. I'm in the same boat, having decided on a very limited spectrum of jobs I would be willing to take. Basically, I've eliminated most firms that actually put effort into getting law students to work for them. I'm left charting my own course, which is theoretically cool, but in practice my course is somewhat stagnant. The biggest problem I see is that part of me doesn't want to have a job secured yet. First of all, I have always, always hated the way you have to do everything 6-9 months ahead of time during the course of your legal education. Why we looked for 2L summer jobs in September of the year before was just beyond me. I said in a few OCI interviews that I was extremely interested in the firm, excited about the work and absolutely certain that I would be bigger, better and cooler by the time we actually got this WestLaw and wine-tasting party started. I dropped that line in at least one interview which resulted in a callback. No offer though.

Anyhow, that diatribe aside, there is a much more important reason why I am not so stoked about finding a post-graduation job. Once I finish school, and start Job X, that's it. No more being unsure where I'll be in a year, no more getting through a crappy job by remembering the temporary nature of it all... no more. All gone. My life is all unknown youthful opportunity right now, and I have to trade that in soon for a career. I would prefer not to work, but I've received a great deal of correspondence from the folks over at Direct Loans, just to remind me that the government owns my soul. My soul apparently goes for about $150k.


2 Comments:

  • Congratulations on the Rubik's cube. That's not anything I was ever able to master and I'm not sure I could do it, even with a detailed walk through. Thanks for reminding me of long-forgotten failure. :)

    By Blogger -Ann, at 9:18 PM  

  • You wouldn't happen to be able to send me the link to that Rubik's cube tip site, would ya?

    -IowaLawGirl

    By Blogger hufflepuffer, at 10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home