Exact Approximations

Thursday, February 03, 2005

First Post and Signs from The Clapper

It was New Year's Eve and I was reading a blog. Drunk with a silly streamer from my "Welcome 2005" party glasses tickling my eye. During this moment of absolute clarity I decided "Hey, I should blog. I would totally rock." Next day I realized I shouldn't, and wouldn't.

I sometimes bring myself down after recognizing how awesome I am. Starting a blog now might be perceived as somewhat lame; I might not be old school enough. I'm not sure about the blogging culture, or how *it* feels about newbies... Maybe I'll be taken in with open arms like a mentally handicapped amputee in fourth grade. On the other hand, I may be rejected like... well, like a mentally handicapped amputee in fourth grade. You just never know which way these things will go. Please everyone, milk my ever present female vanity and accept me.

I made the final decision today after receiving a sign from The Clapper. That's right folks, The Clapper. I bought one a couple of months ago, for my bedroom. I have the oldest, most archaic television set and my universal remote won't turn it off. It also won't adjust the volume, but that's something else entirely. Anyhow, late one night I was watching tv (had no choice really, it was either that or stand up and turn it off) and I heard the "clap on, clap off" jingle. It worked, stuck in my head, and I was at the drug store first thing in the morning asking the temporary-holiday employee where The Clapper was. Oh yeah, and those white sars-masks that were "so last year." And Andes Mints. He looked at me like I was joking, so I told him it was a gag gift for a friend. I'm certain his opinion of me instantly transformed from loathing an annoying customer to crushing on my eccentric cuteness. That guy totally wants me. I can tell every time I go in and he pretends to not recognize me.

So I was laying in bed this morning listening to local news. There was some silly Lifestyle Segment on, which I am fairly certain simply means they had to rely on stock fluff material since the Pope didn't die last night and they have to hold off on the Catholic interviewees. They were talking about people blogging the Iraqi elections, which turned into a larger blog discussion, which turned into a large, large woman using her outside voice to explain why blogs are the way of the future. Large lady believes blogs will become an increasing source of information and that everyone should jump around the blogosphere and see what's out there. Maybe even start your own. She then laughed loud. Real loud. Loud enough for my clapper to turn my t.v. off. I took it as a sign and here I am. I'm not superstitious though.

So the idea is to have a place to ramble, mostly about my life. Not even necessarily how my life actually is, as much as about how I would like it to be. Those moments where I wish I had done things differently, said something a little slicker, done my make up a little better or walked away when they waived all that cash in my face. Things like that.

All abored.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home